How Much Riskier is It to Be a Patient That Quits Smoking 3 Mo Prior to an Explant/lift Vs Nonsmkr?

I have smoked off and on for 30 years. (I'm 50) it's never easy to quit, but I always did, immediately, with my pregnancies and 3 mos prior to my BA. I plan to have an explant of my 580cc, saline, smooth, partial unders, and since I have a D cup of natural, droopy tissue, I'd like to get a full anchor lift, simultaneously. (I can't afford 2 surgeries, nor do I want 2 recoveries/gen anesthesia) I won't even do it til I've completely been off nicotine for 3 months, but is that even enough?

Smoking Risk

+2

It's good that you recognize the significant risk to wound healing in a patient who smokes. I think if you are at zero cigarettes and no other nicotine substitute for 3 months preop you will significantly improve your chances of avoiding healing problems. But there is always some risk that the incisions will not heal properly

Breast Implants and Smoking

+1

Thank you for your question. Having a smoking history will always increase your risk, and the longer your smoking continues, the higher the risk. You can have a heart evaluation with your cardiologist, a treadmill test, and evaluate your coronary risk if your Surgeon feels this is warranted, and any blood work needed. Three months off is good, but 3 years off would be better.  I hope this helps.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

How Much Riskier is It to Be a Patient That Quits Smoking 3 Mo Prior compared with a non-smoker

+1

By three months away from nicotine, your risk should approach baseline for non-smokers. 

Know that the nicotine is the problem. Nicorette gum and nicotine patches are probably worse that cigarettes in terms of wound complications in breast lift surgery. 

Best wishes

Smoking and risk

+1

If you are an ex-smoker your risks are lower than an active smoker but not quite as good as  non-smoker. I recommend to my smoking patientst to stop for 3-4 weeks prior to surgery.