Mucus and Breathing Through One Side of Nose, What Should I Do?

I'm 27 and I live in Tehran, Iran. 10 years ago I broke my nose and after that I suffer from thick mucus in the back of my throat which is clear and breath through one nasal (my mouth isn't open while sleeping).ENT specialists here mentioned that I am allergic too and need to wash my nose everyday. Some say septoplasty and turbinate reduction MAY help my pnd and some say live with it! Dr what is your suggestion? The more I clear my throat the more I feel worse... Thanks

+3

I would recommend septoplasty at this point; it may be contributing at least partly to your nasal obstruction and post nasal drip.  If you have true allergies (frequent sneezing, runny nose, watery eyes, etc with documented allergens) then surgery will do very little if anything for that; immunotherapy may help.

I operate in Tehran a few times a year; would be happy to evaluate you when there. Meanwhile please visit Dr. Naraghi and/or Dr. Movahedi - good friends of mine and excellent otolaryngologists.

Septoplasty and turbinate reduction will help

+3

You definitely have a deviated septum and enlarged turbinates. A septoplasty and turbinate reduction will definitely help, but if you have allergies also, the surgery won't completely resolve the issue. However, after surgery because your passages are open the nasal irrigation or nose sprays will reach all the areas in your nose and help stop the mucous production. 

Babak Larian, MD

Nose Blocked on One Side

+3

Your CT scan clearly shows a deviated septum that is contributing greatly to your blocked nose on that side. In addition to nasal rinses with saline (240 ml water, 1/4 teaspoon of salt),  I would recommend treatment with a topical nasal steroid spray, such as fluticasone propionate. If your nasal blockage and drainage of mucous persists after a few months of this treatment, you could then consider septoplasty and turbinate reduction.

Temp Patterson, MD
Burley Facial Plastic Surgeon