Is PMMA Safe for Butt Augmentation?

What are the posible side effects of PMMA (Polymethylmethacrylate)?

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

PMMA is actually tiny GLASS BEADS, coated in Cow Collagen

+5

Although PMMA is Not Cement, it is the major component in the Cement used for orthopaedic procedures, such as the cement used to hold artificial hips and knees in place.

PMMA Should Not be used in the buttocks. It feels hard, and lumpy, can get infected. Also if it gets into your blood vessels, it can travel to your lungs and kill you. Foreign material injected into the buttocks as a quick fix has been a problem for years. You may have heard about the recent death of Miss Argentina from these injections. Don't Do It!!! We have a safer and MUCH more natural solution. The Brazilian Butt Lift. It's all your fat and feels 100% natural.

Web reference: http://www.danielmarkmannmd.com/category/buttocks-augmentation-fat-grafting/

Artefill is not Cement

+8

Lyari,

I will assume that you are referring to a product known as Artefill, which is a combination of PMMA microspheres and bovine collagen, not the PMMA that plastic surgeons have had experience with in the skull and facial bone reconstruction arena. Artefill is approved in the US by the FDA for soft tissue injection in the face for the correction of nasolabial folds. The material handles very nicely, is smoothly injected from prepackaged syringes and provides near permanent results. The microsphere construct and suspension in collagen causes a very widely dispersed distribution of material and there are no concerns for it turning into "cement". HOWEVER, it would take a massively expensive quantity of Artefill to augment a buttock cheek, much less two. Also, the product is not approved in this country for buttocks. Please look for something else. Good luck!

No and it is dangerous too

+4

Injection of any material that is not biodegradable is not a good idea. PMMA has been used for the reconstruction of the skull with mixed results, but when injected into soft tissue ,it will cause reaction. I have seen patients traveling to Europe for these injections and having very bad result. The sad thing is that we can help these patients since the injected material is not in one spot and it is impossible to remove it. Please look into fat grafting if you like to have butt enlargement

New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

PMMA for Buttock Augmentation

+3

Using PMMA or any other permanent substance for Buttock Augmentation has two main problems: 1) If the "surgeon" is using the real thing then the cost would be prohibitive for most any patient to afford (eg. $150,000.00+) and 2) Permanent fillers are just not safe for buttock augmentation because of the potential for severe hardening, infection, migration/movement of the material, etc...  Buttock Augmentation is possible but stick with tried and true methods such as Implants or Fat transfer.  Best of luck...RAS  

PMMA and Buttock Augmentation

+2

Dear Lyari,

Let's use the Socratic method. Does Polymethyl Methacrylate really BELONG in the buttocks? If so, why didn't God or Evolution (you choose...) put it there?

For those of you who do not know, PMMA (Polymethyl Methacrylate) is an epoxy-like cement widely used to fix and secure orthopedic (knee, hip, shoulder) joints in bones.

PMMA comes in powder form and when mixed with saline solution (and any antibiotics you may), it becomes a sticky honey-like gel which gives off heat and sets into a stone hard cured concrete which will hold anything in place.

PMMA has ALSO been used to fill in bony depressions on the skull and forehead as well as temporarily fill in bone defects (trauma, cancer, infection) while the surgens wait for swelling to go down.

Placing PMMA in the buttocks will result in an unnatural feel AT BEST, even if sand like particles are used. Putting larger PMMA particles will be analagous to sitting on pebbles or rocks. As with other fillers containing PMMA, no names mentioned, it will be hard to remove and occasionally will find its way to the surface with small holes chronically draining sandy particles.

PMMA for buttock augmentation?

+1

Excellent question! The Brazilian Butt Lift (liposuction of your lower back, waist, abdomen, etc, and injection of this fat into your buttocks) is a SAFE, effective buttock augmentation technique. I STRONGLY suggest you avoid any alternative injections (I have seen men and women with liquid silicone injected into their buttocks with HORRIBLE results and complications, wounds, infections, etc).

If you're interested in buttock augmentation surgery, I suggest you visit with an experienced Board Certified PLASTIC SURGEON.

I hope that helps and wish you all the best!

Fresno Plastic Surgeon

Cement in the butt

+1

Does injecting cement into the butt sound like a good idea to you??  If it does, I wonder why.  

I would turn and run from anybody proposing that to you for all the reasons stated by the other doctors. 

Don't even think about it!

+1

Butt augmentation is not a good procedure, especially putting foreign bodies there. You will have nothing but problems. Even fat injections can be dangerous. Bad idea.