PLZ HELP! 2-Months Post-Op & Major Swelling in Both Legs, Ankles, & Feet - Should I Be Concerned?

I got upper/lower abdomen done on Dec. 17th, 2013, I wore my compression garment, exercised lightly, followed doctors orders to a "T" and everything seemed ok, except the swelling. I am 2 months post-op & I have fully body swelling, but it's severe in my left leg, ankle, and foot & more minor on my right leg, abdomen, arms, etc. I have gained 18lbs & it's ALL fluid-retention because I've been on a strict, low-calorie diet & do 3 mi 2x wk on elliptical and Insanity workout 2-3xwk for past 4 wks.

Severe Swelling 2 months post op

+2
This sounds serious.  I advise going to the ER right away.  Call your doctor first as he knows you best.

Swelling post op

+2
Although swelling is typical yours sounds a bit excessive.  I would suggest you contact  your surgeon to be sure you are not missing anything such as a blood clot.  

Terrence Murphy, MD
Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after liposuction

+2
Swelling can be normal after liposuction for several months. But after the first week or two, it's mainly confined to the areas where liposuction was done. Swelling in the legs (especially if it's one leg more than the other) could possibly represent a blood clot. I urge you to see your doctor soon. If your surgeon is unavailable, then please try to see your family doctor. If you develop any shortness of breath or sudden worsening of your symptoms, go to an emergency room, as blood clots in the leg could travel to the lungs.

I don't mean to alarm you, since there may be other explanations for your swelling, but it's important to seek attention soon and to be aware that this could represent something dangerous.

Dana Goldberg, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

+1
I empathize with your concerns.  However, I cannot comment specifically on your condition since "got upper/lower abdomen done" doesn't tell me anything about what kind of surgery was performed.  Liposuction?  Abdominoplasty? Both? 
Generally speaking, swelling is not uncommon 2 months after surgery.  Depending on the type of surgery, you may have lymphatic drainage or vascular drainage compromise, etc.  This may be temporary.  This may also depend on your medical condition and anatomy prior to surgery.  I don't think 2 months out this is an "ER" type emergency, but you should definitely communicate with your surgeon immediately.  Besides, you show up to the emergency room and the ER doc is going to call a plastic surgeon anyhow.  It would be better if it's YOUR plastic surgeon.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

#postliposuctioncomplications

+1
sudden swelling months after Liposuction can be a serious concern. you must contact your doctor ASAP and have your self examined. make sure its not blood clot (s).

Misbah Khan, MD