Would Composite Bonding Be an Option for Multiple Teeth Gaps? I Have 5 Upper Teeth Gaps. (Photos)

My teeth are small for my jaw, so I have very spaced teeth. I want porcelain veneers later but in the mean time I want to use bonding, I know it isn't as strong as having veneers. How long do they last? How long before they discolor? I don't drink tea, coffee, wine or smoke. I've been told that braces wouldn't close them fully even if worn for 2 years. I would just have to get veneers afterwards which would cost a lot of money. Is it worth me trying out bonding before going porcelain veneers?

Braces can still be an option

+2

From the few photos you posted, I think you may have an open bite.  This means that when your back teeth are touching, the front do not close all the way.  the side picture also shows that your front teeth are "out".  Again, from the few photos, I would guess that you may have some flaring of the teeth.  If this is the case, ortho would be a good option for you.  By moving the teeth back, you can improve the look of the teeth and also improve your bite.

If I were you, I would consult with a few orthodontists before committing to bonding/veneers.

Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Best Option to Close Spaces Between Upper Teeth?

+2

You have some choices here.  What material and technique to use (composite bonding or porcelain veneering) and how many teeth to involve?

Some generalities, composite bonding is usually more economical, but also has a tendency to stain somewhat, while porcelain veneers usually will not.  Porcelain veneers are stronger, and thus should last longer than composite bonding.  No dentist can give you any accurate estimate on how long either will last you.  It depends on the strength of the material, your bite, how well you take care of your teeth, and other factors.  And also, it depends on how good the dentist is who places the composite bonding or porcelain veneers. 

It is my professional opinion, based a lot on how large the spaces are in your photos, that you will get a much better result with porcelain veneers, and doing at least six teeth. Bonding will improve the appearance of your teeth, but porcelain veneering at least six teeth will really improve your smile!

Web reference: http://www.cosmetic-dentistry-and-porcelain-veneers.com/category/spaced-teeth

Laguna Niguel Cosmetic Dentist

Is Bonding a Good Interim Treatment for Spaces Between Teeth?

+2

From your photos bonding would be an option to close your spaces.  You should expect 5-7 years service from bonding if good maintenance  is followed.  The fact that you do not drink tea, coffee, wine or smoke is a real plus in slowing the discoloration process that occurs with cosmetic bonding.  Expect to possibly have to have an occasional touch or repair to the bonding as it may chip or develop a rough edge or stained area as the years pass.

Phoenix Cosmetic Dentist

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.