Plugged Up Feeling in Ear 12 Weeks After Mini-lift. What Can Cause This?

12 weeks post mini-lift, I often have a plugged up feeling in my right ear. No loss of hearing. My GP looked in ear canal & said all was normal (no blood, wax, etc) except for a slight bulging out of eardrum. Area around both ears is still numb and I have persistent pulling/tightness around both ears. Any ideas? Thanks so much.

Plugged Up Ear - Post Mini Lift

+1

Thank you for your question. There Can be some internal inflammation as many sutures are put under the skin, and these can cause some inflammation around the areas of concern. As the tissue heals, there is a feeling of tightness, and this will subside after about 6 months to a year. I hope this helps.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

"Plugged Up" Sensation in Ear Canal After Facelift

+1

Most Plastic Surgeons who do facelifts are used to looking in ears after surgery as your complaint is fairly common. If there is no physical obstruction (blood or wax), then the problem is usually related to tenderness and temporary swelling around the ear canal due to the placement of anchor sutures to the adjacent cartilage. No intervention is necessary as the sensation goes away as the healing process continues. 

Paul S. Howard, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Plugged Up Feeling in Ears 12 Weeks after Miniface Lift

+1

If your surgeon has examined you and your ears and he or she is certain that there is no obstruction or problem with that ear, then this may get better with time.  However, if your surgeon is not comfortable assessing this problem, see another surgeon who can.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Recovery and symptoms post mini face lift

+1

At 12 weeks post mini face lift it is not unusual to have some of the issues you are describing - pulling/tightness/numbness around the ears.  Most of these symptoms should resolve in the next few months.  If your ears feel plugged and your eardrums are bulging, it could indicate a blockage of the eustachian tube.  I suggest you see an ENT specialist -otolaryngologist - who would be able to evaluate and treat the problem.  Best wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon