Are Plication Sutures Better for Tummy Tuck?

Muscle tightening plication sutures are the norm for tummy tuck

+1

Thank you for your question. Muscle tightening plication sutures are the usual for tummy tuck, not the exception. I'm not quite sure I understand the question. Are they better for tummy tuck as compared to what? The Plication sutures repair and tighten the tummy by bringing the muscles back together that have separated, usually from pregnancy.

Absolutely

+1

In almost all tummy tucks, there are 2 parts of the operation.  The first part is to remove the excess skin

that is due to weight gain and/or pregnancy.  The second part is to tighten the muscle by plicating the

fascia (the very strong tissue that surrounds the muscle). This is necessary because the fascia, as well as the

skin, has stretched, allowing the internal organs to push outward creating a pot belly.  This requires placing strong sutures thatgo back and forth to pull the muscles back together.  This will flatten your abdomen.  It can also giverelief to low back pain since the abdominal muscles work together with the back muscles to support 

the spine.  There may be an occasional case that doesn't require this.

E. Anthony Musarra II, MD

Abdominal wall plication (stitches) in tummy tuck surgery

+1

Plication (stitching) of the abdominal wall muscles during tummy tuck surgery is an important aspect of abdominoplasty, offering the best chances of obtaining a flat appearance to the abdomen. Suturing of the muscles in the abdominal wall, ( muscles that may have separated with pregnancy, weight changes etc), offers an 'internal corset' and provides for a nicer result. In a few patients, their abdominal muscles do not require any tightening and therefore plication may not be necessary.

Antonio Gayoso, MD
Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck and Plication?

+1

I think you are referring to abdominal wall plication  sutures that are used to re-approximate the rectus muscles that have spread with pregnancy and/or weight gain/loss.

For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight gain/loss,  the plication of the abdominal wall muscles is an important part of the tummy tuck procedure. This  reapproximation of the muscles tighten up the abdominal wall so that there is little to no “bulging” even when a patient is bent over. This plication also serves to bring in (narrow) the waistline.