Please Tell Me Do I Need a Lift for my Breasts? (photo)

What options would be best for me?

Do I have to have a breast lift?

+2

I believe you would benefit from a small sub-pectoral silicone implant and possibly a peri-areolar lift. You would also need the lower half of the breast raised using internal stitches to achieve a nice well rounded breast. Not a big fan of multiple scars on breasts. I've been able to achieve very nice-natural results using this technique. Best wishes, Dr. H

Texas Plastic Surgeon

You do not need lift

+2

I would recommend breast implants to give volume and some lift. You have higher risk of psuedoptosis because of the excess skin in lower pole of the breast. Lateral pictures would  help to evaluate your breast better.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Do I Need A Breast Lift?

+2

Dear Ioana4783,  Thanks for your question.  With just a frontal photo, it is difficult to be exact but it does not appear that you would need a breast lift if you are planning to have a breast augmentation procedure and are happy with the shape of your breasts and it is really just an issue of size.  If, however, you are unhappy with the fuller bottom portion of your breasts, then you may need to consider tightening this area of the breast however that would require an extra incision and a resulting scar. The difficulty with just a frontal photo is that we cannot determine where the IM fold-the place where your breast joins the chest wall-is in relation to the position of your nipples.  It appears they are above the level of the fold and for most women that means that a lift is not required.  Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who has significant experience in aesthetic breast surgery who after completing your exam and  listening to your goals can advise you fully of your options.  Thanks and good luck.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

To lift the breast or not

+2

The position of the crease under the breast would be necessary to know to properly answer you but it looks as though the nipples are above the creases which favors not needing a lift.  You do however have bottom heavy breasts with excess skin in the lower poles and this can either be gathered up over an implant or it can be tightened in a lift.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Do I Need A Breast Lift?

+2

The need for a breast lift is determined by the final result that you want to see.  By your photo I would say it is not absolutely essential and would be needed only if you wanted to tighten the laxity in the lower part of the breast.  I can only get a little information from the photo but an exam and discussion with you would be required to determine the final answer.  The need for a lift is generally determined by the height of the nipple in relation to the fold of the breast on the chest wall.  By your photos I am guessing the nipple is just above the fold.

If you want to avoid the scars of a lift I would recommend doing the implants and then you can see if a lift is needed for your desired appearance.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Indications for a breast lift

+1

Breast ptosis (droopiness) is usually divided into four categories:  glandular (nipple is above the fold, but some of the breast sits below it), minimal (nipple sits at the fold), moderate (nipple sits below the fold, but is not at the bottom), and severe (nipple sits at the bottom of the breast).  It is hard to say for sure without a physical exam, but from the photos, it appears that you only have glandular ptosis.  A breast lift is not indicated in these cases.  Some patients with glandular ptosis will benefit from a breast augmentation.

Kelly Gallego, MD, FACS
Yuba City Plastic Surgeon

LIFT OR NO LIFT

+1

It appears that your nipples are above the breast fold.  However you have some breast tissue covering the fold.  I feel you do not need a lift.  You can get a very nice result from either a dual plane augmentation with saline or gel implant or a subfascial augmentation with gel implants.

Todd B. Koch, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Breast surgery

+1

It is hard to tell exactly from the single photos that you posted, but it looks like you may not need anything more than breast implants to improve the appearance.  Other views, and a physical exam would be essential.

Breast Lift Necessary?

+1

Thank you for the question and picture.

It would be much easier to give you precise advice  after in person examination. Pictures demonstrating the side views of the breasts  would also be helpful.

Based on your  frontal picture only I think you will not necessarily benefit from breast lifting in addition to the breast augmentation surgery.  You may benefit from consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Need for mastopexy

+1

Not the world's best pictures but from what I can see I would call that a "long run for a short gain". In other words you are doing a lot of surgery for a relatively minor amount of alteration. I would always rather do a lift than an implant if I have the choice, and you did not ask about about implants, but I bet when you visit a plastic surgeon the question will come up. Hope this helps.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon