How long does it take before I start to notice some of the Radiesse in my cheeks start dissolving?

I had Radiesse put in my cheeks 5 weeks ago to help my smile lines (naso folds). Instead, my cheeks are so puffy that the smile lines are more pronounced and I look like I gained a lot of weight. The nurse who did this wants to give me a steroid shot for swelling (but she hasn't seen me since the 10 day mark). I don't think I'm still swollen, I think I was overcorrected.

Over-Correction Can Happen!

+1
Overcorrection can occur with Radiesse, and unlike the hyaluronic acid fillers, there is unfortunately no dissolving enzyme for calcium hydroxyapetite (the active ingredient in Radiesse). Intralesional steroid injections can be helpful sometimes for overcorrection and is a reasonable place to start. Merz notes this product can last up to 18 months, but in practice, I see the product begin to break down after 9-12 months. Swelling can last up to 2 weeks – 5 weeks seems a bit far out. Hope that helps!

How long before my Radiesse goes away?

+1
Radiesse lasts anywhere from 6-12 months depending on the patient. I would be patient and your body will gradually resorb the product without complication.

Todd C. Miller, MD

How long before Radiesse begins to dissolve in cheeks?

+1
I would say the clinical improvement from Radiesse normally does not last more than a year.  There can be some decline beginning after a few months in some cases.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon