Could Your Diet Affect Scar Tissue Formation After Rhinoplasty?

I had rhinoplasty 31 days ago. I know it takes time for swelling to go but I'm worried about scar tissue. I already have a bump on one side of my nose that my PS has said is scar tissue, however it's not that noticible. Does the fact that this scar tissue has formed in another area mean it is more likely that my tip will remain bulbous due to scar tissue? I'm worried that the fact that I have been dieting and lost 4 pounds since my surgery may have affected my healing, could this be the case?

Can Diet Affect Wound Healing?

+1

If you are severely malnourished, yes, it is possible that your diet can affect the healing process. This is unlikely; however, you need to make sure to have a balanced diet with plenty of vitamins and minerals. It is known that vitamins C and E, and the mineral Zinc help with wound healing. If you have a healthy diet, you need not worry.

The scar tissue and swelling in your nose is common so shortly after surgery. It will take up to 9 months for the majority of the swelling to subside, and 1 year for a complete recovery. Be patient and consult your surgeon if you have any concerns.

Jaime Perez, MD
Rhinoplasty Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Diet Affect Scar Tissue Formation After Rhino?

+1

While ensuring that you have a well balanced diet including good protein will help promote good wound healing, it is highly unlikely that your 4 pound weight loss has anything to do with your findings. It is very early in the healing process and it can take up to one year for all of your nasal swelling to resolve and for scars to completely soften and mature. I think you will find that if you are patient then over the next several months things will begin to improve.

Richard J. Brown, MD