Are These Pitted Scars or Pores? (photo)

Hello, I am at my wits end trying to figure out my face. I have all of these what appear to be blackheads or sebaceous filaments. However, I have come to the conclusion that they are simply tiny pitted or icepick scars. It seems like they have become more noticeable over time due to several chemical peels I have done at home (TCA, glycolic, salicylic). I have tried practically everything, including a dermaroller, numerous exfoliating products, Nulase handheld laser, and so on. Any advice?

Treatment fro Pitted Scars and Pores

+1

Jeff, you actually have both a few pitted scars and multiple enlarged pores. While I usually recommend punch excisions followed by CO2 laser for pitted scars, yours are wide enough and shallow enough to skip the punch excision stage. You would do well with fractionated CO2 laser treatments. More than one treatment may be necessary and the longer the down time you are willing to tolerate, the better your results will be.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

Austin Dermatologic Surgeon

Pitted scars and enlarged pores

+1

These are some of the most difficult to treat. I would consider TCA for the ice pick scars but know that they will look horrible the first week and will fill in. I would consider volumizing your face to help with the pores. You could do lasers but I don't think you will get a significant improvement because I have those lasers that people talk about. They are good for some things but in this case you may have very little improvements.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Those appear to be both pitted scars and pores

+1

While there is nothing you can do to actually change the size of your pores, you can even out your skin tone and coloring to make them appear less obvious. Though it's hard to tell from the photos, some of what you have appears to be pitted acne scarring, especially in the first picture. I would recommend a combination of eMatrix (sublative rejuvenation) for the tone and scarring, and some IPL/FotoFacial for general tone, texture, and color improvements. While you've tried a lot of chemical peels and homecare products, none of these are going to work with your issues or be strong enough to address your specific concerns. I'd suggest seeing a dermatologist to go over your desires and have him/her give you some recommendations.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

What to do for Large Pores/Pitted Acne Scars?

+1

Hi Jeff.  It seems you have tried a lot of home treatments for your large pores, but have you consulted a dermatologist or plastic surgeon regarding laser resurfacing?  It seems you are trying a lot of home care procedures, but generally speaking, these types of treatments have very limited potential vs. a procedure like laser resurfacing.  

We would suggest you consider Full or fractional laser resurfacing with Erbium or CO2 lasers.  Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD