Please Help with My Hereditary Dark Circles? (photo)

I am a 24 year old south asian female and I have hereditary Dark circles which are hollow and pigmented. I've had them since forever. I've tried many things. The doctor told me nothing can be done, I've tried creams, fraxel laser treatment, & recently used a filler but it's still dark & I think it looks worse. I wear makeup all the time & never leave the house without it. I hate wearing make up every day. It affects my confidence! Pls help! is there is a way to surgically get rid of them.

Dark circles under the eyes

+2

This is always a difficult problem and will require a experienced plastic surgeon to determine if you should continue using fillers or consider surgery even at an early age.  If your lower lids are very hollowed out this will create a shadow and makes the area look darker.  Also the skin of the lower eyelids is very thin and appears dark due to the muscle that is just below the skin.  Consider

1. Non-permanent soft tissue fillers such as Juvederm
  2. Camouflage make up
  3. Skin care products that contain a metal to reflect the light making the appearance of the darkness less visiible, try Teamine or SkinMedica TNS dermal eye repair
  4. Consider surgery to use some of your orbital fat to fill in the tear trough zone, resuspend the orbicularis muscle  

Forget all the treatments. They are not going to make a difference.

+2

You will benefit from carefully performed filler.  It will not get rid of your dark circle but it will make it look much better because you have both a dark circle and a hollow.  Be very careful you find to do this treatment.  It is definitely an advanced treatment that requires a very skilled hand.

Dark Circles Around the Eyes

+2

Dark circles around the eyes can be very frustrating for the patients as well as the doctors. One may consider doing limited blepharoplasty by carefully separating orbicularis from overlying skin and only removing part of the thin skin. It can stretch the thin skin and help with bringing in more collagen and tightening the area. Perhaps this procedure may help with eliminating dark circles. In young person one has to be very careful by not taking too much of the eyelid skin along with orbicularis as it will lead to their corneal exposure and significant discomfort.  

Imtiaz A. Chaudhry, MD, PhD, FACS
Houston Oculoplastic Surgeon

Dark Circles Under Eyes & Hollows Respond Well To Belotero Balance Plus Radiesse

+1

Tear troughs, hollows, and dark circles are common problems of the lower lids. It has become standard practice to treat this region with lighter weight fillers, like Juvederm or Restylane, to lift, straighten, and contour this region. Occasionally, if fillers are inadvertently placed too superficially, a bluish discoloration related to light scattering (a phenomenon known as the Tyndall effect) can occur, which can actually make the dark circles more prominent. I am hardly surprised with your account of the lack of benefit from Fraxel laser treatments, being personally unimpressed with the their overall efficacy in a number of skin conditions.

Belotero Balance, a relatively new hyaluronic acid product, has been manufactured to avoid the Tyndall Effect. However, I have found that the addition of a tiny amount of Radiesse, a whitish-colored filler, to the Belotero, to be an excellent way of treating tear troughs and hollows and lightening existing dark circles in dark circles from aging, as well as the hereditary variety. The use of cannulas also makes the procedure quick, relatively painless and less likely to cause significant bruising, swelling and tenderness. However, only an experienced, board certified aesthetic dermatology or plastic surgeon injector should attempt to treat this area in this fashion.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Filler treatment for dark under eye circles

+1

With what you are describing and showing in your picture, you may be a candidate for filler treatment to your under eye hollows. Placing a hyaluronic acid filler such as Restylane may help improve the hollows and may also help some of your dark circles.  Make sure you see someone who is experienced in injecting fillers around the eyelids and periorbital area. Good luck!

Christopher I. Zoumalan, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Fillers for dark circles

+1

The main reason for your dark circles are that you have lower eyelid hollowness underneath "bags".  It is a shadow phenomenon. By filling the hollow area, the dark circles should improve. 

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon