Please Help Me Figure out my Best Liposuction Option?

I'm overwhelmed by all of these different lipo options! I'm 5'5, 105 pounds but carry any and all extra weight on my stomach and love handles resulting in an awful "skinny fat" look. I'm small chested too so I hate having this constant race between my tummy and breasts on who's going to stick out farther! I'm active and a healthy eater and even at my most fit, I still have some fat reserves on those areas. So, what would be my best lipo option?

It sounds like you are a good candidate for liposuction.

+1

Get an an appointment with a respected liposuction specialist in your area for a professional consultation and treatment plan.  You may want to get several consultations for a consensus on what would be best for you.

Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Local anesthesia liposuction with small instruments continues to be the gold standard.

+1

Local anesthesia liposuction with small instruments continues to be the gold standard. The best choice a person can make is to see a highly experienced surgeon. I have taught liposuction to both plastic surgeons and dermatologists for over two decades and continue to see both good and bad results from both specialties. A young plastic surgeon who has only performed a few liposuctions will not likely be as good as a dermatologist who has performed several hundred. The key is to find a physician who performs several liposuctions a week, not the doctor with a new instrument who is desperately advertising.

William P. Coleman III, MD
Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

Best liposuction option

+1

I believe tumescent liposuction offers the best predictable results. Please consult a Board Certified Plastic surgeon so that he can give you the best possible surgical option. If you are thin everywhere else, you may just need a tummy tuck. Sometimes, abdominal wall laxity due to pregnancies may give the appearance of a 'fat' belly.

Best wishes, Dr. H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Please Help Me Figure out my Best Liposuction Option?Answer:

+1

There are a few missing pieces, namely 1) What is your age and 2) do you want to show your tummy after, like in a bikini? Tummy is one of my “danger” spots for Lipo (inner thighs as well) due to it’s tendency to get very wavy if one is not careful, and in patients over age 40. For those spots I prefer SlimLipo. I find less waviness (less but not zero, tho) with this technique. If yes on the bikini, I may combine some skin tightening procedure (like a mini-TT) with the lipo in women >40.

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Choosing the right procedure

+1

from your description you sound like an ideal candidate for liposuction assuming you have good skin quality with normal elasticity.  Choosing the correct procedure or more specifically in  your case, the right lipo procedure is the whole purpose of your consultation.  In this day and age, it can be difficult to discern the qualifications that any given physician has.  The best recommendation I can give you is to choose a surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  This is the only board that certifies plastic surgeons in the U.S.  Many other physicians will advertise their board certifications but unless it is from the ABPS, then they do not have the requisite training to be referred to as plastic surgeons.

Sean A. Simon, MD

Liposuction options

+1

It is impossible to recommend a procedure to you witout examining you or taking a good history. But assuming you are a good candidate for liposuction, the technique is dependent on the surgeon and I would choose your surgeon and let him or her decide what technique is the best. There are all sorts of options from the type of anesthesia, to the type of wetting solution, to the instrumentation, and the post-op dressing and garments. Pick your surgery like picking a musical performance. You go to hear the performer, not necessary the specific instrument being used. A good musician can make a variety of instruments sound good, but a poor musican can make the best instrument sound bad.

Robin T.W. Yuan, M.D.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Liposuction options

+1

The real question should be, "What are my body contouring options?"

Liposuction is just one of many techniques that are available for body contouring.  The type of liposuction chosen depends more on the surgeon and his/her experience and training.  All liposuction techniques involve the permanent removal of fat cells through a suction apparatus.

The most important decision to make when considering body contouring is the selection of the correct treatment plan for each patient, not what type of liposuction is utilized.  The skin, fat and muscle need to be evaluated and a treatment plan formulated.  You may need skin removal and fat removal, or maybe just skin removal alone.  Most people need a combined approach to body contouring, liposuction followed by skin contouring or a tummy tuck combined with liposuction.  There are many techniques that don't involve any surgery at all!

Without seeing your photographs I can only speculate  on what is best for you, but with a height of 5' 5" and a weight of 105 lbs, your BMI (Body Mass Index) is only around 17.  We consider a BMI of 19-20 to be skinny.  That would make you "super skinny"!  You still could have localized areas of fat that would respond to liposuction, but you may have loose skin to needs to removed, or maybe "fat freezing" would be best for you.  Please visit with a BOARD CERTIFIED PLASTIC SURGEON to review your options.

Also, since it appears your unhappy with your breast size, you may want to consider breast implants.  If you have the liposuction and implants at the same time (Mommy Makeover) you will save money in the long run.  Only one recovery instead of two and most surgeons offer a discount on the second procedure.

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction options

+1

some photos would be helpful,it just is not possible to comment without any of the specifics of your situation.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Most board certified plastic surgeons use tumescent liposuction.

+1

Hi.

1)  Tumescent liposuction has been safe and effective for over fifteen years.  Fluid is injected into the fat before starting the actual liposuction, and this minimizes bleeding, and controls pain.   There is no evidence that other techniques are better.   Most of what you hear about, like Smartlipo, is marketing.

2)  You sound like a good candidate for tumescent liposuction of the stomach and love handles.

3)  Like the other doctors say,  the quality of the surgeon is the most important thing.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

How Do I Choose the "Right" Liposuction

+1

Choosing a very experienced surgeon is way more important than trying to decide for yourself what technique is best.  Let your surgeon know what changes you would like to achieve and then discuss what the alternatives are.  You can get information over the internet and from friends, but you will likely not know how that information applies in your circumstances.  An experienced American Board of Plastic Surgery certified surgeon will know many techniques , not just liposuction and not just one brand of liposuction.  Pick someone you can ask questions of and feel comfortable with. Good luck!

Mary Lee Peters, MD