Best Acne Scarring Options at the Age of 40? (photo)

I am 40 years old and for the last 2 yrs my skin has gone haywire.my skin has degraded drastically. I seem to scar horribly after any and all breakouts or other injury. I have been left with a mess on both cheeks nose and forehead. I am at a total loss as to what can be done to correct the defects at this point. Im seeking any advice on how to pursue improvement. I am tired of being ashamed of my appearance.

Hello

+1

There is a few options for acne scars. You can get profractional laser with micro laser peel that in it self will get rid of a lot of your scars but not 100%. If you want 100% you can do a mini facelift that would be stretching the skin and getting rid of the deeper scars.Good luck.The best would be to see a PS to see you and know exactly what would benefit you the best.

Acne Scarring requires a multilayered approach

+1

Your scars can be improved. But sometimes acne scarring is difficult and I would be prepared for a longer rather than a shorter road to improvement. TCA can help with your pitted scars but the transition can be scary. But improvement is possible. Once I treat the the pitted scars with TCA then I consider our unique multilayered approach.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Acne scarring treatment options

+1

You are not alone to feel this way. Acne scarring is a major problem that can be frustrating and psychologically devastating to patients. Treatments options include subcision, resurfacing laser therapy, chemical peels, dermal fillers, dermabrasion, and mini-excisions of large scars. I often tell patients that a combination of different therapies is the best strategy to achieve improvement.

Miriam Hanson, MD
Austin Dermatologist

Options for Acne Scarring

+1

The first thing to do is get your acne activity under control; afterwards your acne scars can be tackled. Acne should be treated with medications (topical and / or oral) as determined by your dermatologist. Some lasers eg Spectra laser can be used as a complement to the aforementioned methods of acne treatment.

As you research different options for treating your acne scars, you will come across a lot of names and products that are purported to help with this. First, you should understand how acne scars are formed.  Acne inflammation is injurious to your skin. In reaction to this, your skin will try to repair itself by creating scar tissue. Scar tissue is made of the same collagen fibers as the rest of your skin. However, the fibers are arranged differently, making them thick and irregular. 

Fraxel lasers, like Fraxel Repair and Fraxel Dual help your skin create normal collagen fibers. The laser light is turned into heat energy. And the dermal layer of your skin reacts to this heat by forming new collagen tissue that gradually fades out the scar tissue.

Since your skin is quite fair, you may be a candidate for Fraxel Repair, which is a more aggressive type of treatment. However you will need to seek the advice of a board certified dermatologist who specializes in Fraxel lasers. 

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

You have difficult acne scars with what appears to be large pitted scars.

+1

This is a very difficult type of acne scar to fix.  I recommend one week of Accutane to suppress the oil in your sebaceous glands followed by extensive subcision, Fraxel Repair Laser and then multiple punch excisions and suturing of your deepest and most severe pitted acne scars. All of this is performed in a single session.   Accutane is continued for one week post op to reduce the oil and allow the pitted scar excisions to heal.  Additional treatments with eMatrix or Fraxel Lasers may be necessary to achieve the best result.   All of these recommendation would need to by validated by a face-to-face consultation and explanation of the risks and benefits of these recommendations.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Acne scarrring

+1

Combination treatments may be good for you. A new treatment is using your own cells to improve the quality of the skin this is a product called LaViv.