Can I Please Ask for Any Expertise on the Options I Have to Fix the Way my Eyes Look? (photo)

Other than the fact that they seem to slightly protrude, there is excess skin above and below. When my face is still it makes me look aged/tired (perhaps it it also hollowness in my cheeks?). But the worst part is when I smile, the lower lids bunches up significantly and the upper folds become more obvious and disruptive when blinking. Pics attached and thanks in advance for any advice!

Blepharoplasty

+2

It sounds like from your description that you may need a blepharoplasty. I do not see photos posted so it is difficult to say.

Can I Please Ask for Any Expertise on the Options I Have to Fix the Way my Eyes Look?

+1
Thank you for your question. As far as your upper lids, it seems like you have some redundant skin and therefore could benefit from a conservative resection of skin. It is hard to determine whether or not you need fat removed based on your pictures but I would again suggest a conservative approach. Aggressively removing fat can have undesirable effects down the line after you naturally lose fat in these areas and then appear “hollowed”. It is hard to comment on your lower lids without seeing you. That having been said, I always caution my patients when discussing skin excision of the lower lids since it can have undesirable effects on the position of the lid with respect to the eye itself. I often do conservative fat excision of the lower lid without skin excision. The lower lid skin can instead be addressed with a fractionated CO2 laser which can provide a mild to moderate skin tightening effect. I do a fat repositionin technique where the fat removed from the lower lid can be placed in the teartrough area to give a nice fuller appearance. As far as the bunching up of skin with smiling, botox can help. I suggest seeing an experienced facial plastic surgeon in your area to discuss your concerns. It is difficult to make recommendations on-line. Good luck.

Stephen P. Smith, Jr., MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Because your eyes are prominent, care must be observed in performing eyelid surgery.

+1

Too much eyelid surgery will skeletonize the eyes and make them look buggy.  For this reason, upper blepharoplasty should be very conservative.  The lowers are probably best improved with the judicious use of Restylane fillers.  It is possible that the upper eyelid area could be improved with microdroplet botulinum toxin but as this services only lasts about 4 months, you may feel that you need eyelid surgery to have a longer term benefit.

Blepharoplasty for upper and lower eyelid issues

+1

The primary goal for an upper  Blepharoplasty is to remove extra skin and a little bit of fat in the medial  compartment. The primary goal for lower eyelid blepharoplasty is to remove the fat bags( 3 compartments) and pinch a small amount of excess skin when present on the lower lids. Crows feet are best treated with Botox. For examples of what can be accomplished with a upper and lower blepharoplasty, please see the link below to our photo gallery.