Please Advise on Revision: Uneven Results from Asian Double Eyelid Surgery (photo)

I'm 23 yo and got my eyes done for the first time 2 months ago. The results are definitely uneven as my left eye sometimes loses its crease (in the mornings/night), or when I'm tired. The crease in the left side is definitely lighter, has a different shape, and sometimes 2 creases form. There might also be more of a droop in the lid. Should I get a second opinion? I don't need perfect, just more symmetrical. PS - I used eyelid glue before, I know it loosens skin, but then the right eye is ok?

Asian Eyelid Surgery and Asymmetrical Results

+2

Your left eyelid crease is not as formed and is definitely different from the right. You will likely need to have the crease recreated to make it look more like the right one. Revisional surgery is much harder though that the original procedure. You may not be able to get both eyes exactly the same. But your crease on the right is done very well though.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Your left upper eyelid is the lagging eyelid.

+2

It is common for one eyelid to lag in healing following bilateral surgery.  RIght after surgery, you can see how much more swollen the left side was compared to the right side.  Now 2 months later, the left upper eyelid is more ptotic than the right side.  You have a left upper eyelid crease but the eyebrow is being held higher on that side to compensate for the ptosis.  This causes the fold to look thin.  This is the probable reason for the difference in the appearance of the two folds.  As you point out, the upper eyelid incision heights look well designed.  The best thing here is to wait.  However, at 6 months if things have not equalized, then revisional surgery will be indicated.  If you look no different at 6 months than you do in the most recent photo, ptosis surgery will probably be indicated.  There is no substitute for a personal consultation.

Loss of crease is one of the commonest complications

+2

Double eyelid surgery has a fairly high rate of complications for a cosmetic operation no matter who performs it. In Taiwan a group of surgeons published a 10% complication rate. Some plastic surgeons I know  in Seoul have each done 2500 revisions, correcting results from previous surgery. Loss of the crease is one of the common complications. You may need a revision in your left upper eyelid. But a revision should wait until at least six months after the first surgery so the inflammation and scarring process has quieted down to allow for a precise operation. Your doctor should be able to advise you about this, as any busy eyelid surgeon occasionally has to do revision surgery.

Jeffrey Schiller, MD
Staten Island Oculoplastic Surgeon

Revision double eyelid surgery

+1

I agree with you that your left eye does not have an ideal fold. Your right eye looks very good. If your are willing, a revision of the left eye seems resonable. You may require repair of a slight Ptosis on your left as well  to achieve the optimal result.

Thomas Buonassisi, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Possible enhancement

+1

Communicate with your surgeon as swelling may be affecting to the left eye. It is possible you'll need enhancement.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon