Please advise, is it possible to revise otoplasty after it has already been done? (Photo)

I had my surgery 4 months ago in Israel.I asked the doctor to fix just a little part of the upper antihelix (scaphoid fossa), & demanded not to overcorrect, avoid unnecessary cuts and scars. I didn't mind to have my ear a little prominent. Naturally it was 1cm. I wanted them to look natural, now I feel like my ears were folded and sewn, the upper part sticks out like a tubule and the scar goes trough the whole ear. Is it possible to fix it and make it look as natural as possible? Please advice!

OTOPLASTY REVISION

+1
Typically, otoplasty procedures slightly overcorrect ears because the ear will naturally migrate outward during the first several months to one year.  Revision otoplasty is commonly performed in my practice -- however, I tend to wait a minimum of 8 months to 1 year prior to performing revision or secondary work.

Good luck!

Wayne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Please advise, is it possible to revise otoplasty after it has already been done?

+1
Your surgeon probably made an overcorrection because the ear has the tendency to move outwards again at the top by 1 to 3mm after an otoplasty, regardless of whether it was with the traditional method or the stitch method. However, as 4 months have already passed in your case, it could be that not much will change anymore concerning the overcorrection, which is still visible. Despite that, I recommend that you wait a further 3 months and perhaps the ear might still move outwards more. If that doesn’t happen, then you should get in touch with your surgeon again and ask him to eliminate the overcorrection. The result of a correction after an operation with the traditional method cannot be accurately predicted as this method involves incisions, the thinning of cartilage, and the fixing of the new position of the ears by scars. Fortunately, there is no problem of removing an overcorrection with the new stitch method, as with this method no scars result and it is simple to replace one thread with another that bends the antihelix less strongly.

Waldemar Merck, MD
Germany Plastic Surgeon