What Types of Chin Implants Are Being Used Today, and Which Would Be the Most Highly Recommended and Why?

Can an old chin implant be removed and the remaining scar tissue left in place and a new implant put in, or must the remaining scar tissue have to be removed and why? can this all be accomplished via an incision under the chin? Would this weaken a neck lift performed 7 months ago? If so, how can this be prevented?

Types of chin implants

+1

The types of chin implants used today are diverse, including soft silicone to hard materials similar to bone. Generally the soft types work very well and usually the old scar tissue is not removed unless it is causing problems. The procedure can usually be done through the exisiting scar (under the chin). I don't think it will weaken a necklift. I hope this helps you.

Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implant may be Replaced and Scar tissue left in tact

+1

Typically the scar tissue that has formed around an implant is not removed when replacing a chin implant. I prefer to use an incision under the chin when performing chin augmentation. No this will not weaken a neck lift performed seven months prior and will probably enhance the appearance with better volume and projection. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Web reference: http://www.michaelelammd.com

Replacing chin implant.

+1

Usually one does not need to remove the scar tissue capsule that surrounds a chin implant if it needs replacing.

I  prefer to use a silastic chin implant of the appropriate size and shape placed through an incision underneath the chin. In many cases this can make a neck lift look better if the new implant has greater volume. Also some neck tightening could be done through this same incision. 

Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant can be exchanges

+1

It certainly is possible to remove and replace a chin implant without taking out all the scar tissue.  This is quite common when patients had the small button type chin implants and now need a more anatomical or extended implant.  Discuss this with your plastiuc surgeon to see what would be best for you.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon