Playing a Musical Instrument After Rhinoplasty?

I am roughly 17 weeks post rhinoplasty and am worried about changing the shape of my nose through facial movements. I play the clarinet and this involved a certain mouth movement that makes the tip of the nose point downwards when playing. I am worried that over time this will have an impact on my result, that at the moment I am very happy with.

Palying Musical Instrument After Rhinoplasty

Dear Fleur,

Thank you for your inquiry.

At more than 4 months post-op you should have already achieved a safe level of recovery/healing that should enable you to play your clarinet.

That said, you should not push yourself to the limits and overworking your facial muscles as you may feel a certain discomfort hence worrying about impacting your results negatively.

At this point down your recovery line, you should mainly focus on preventing any possible trauma to happen to your nose but your hobby/profession playing the clarinet should be safe.

Best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

496 Old Newport Blvd
Newport Beach, CA 92663

Musical Instruments and Rhinoplasty

At this time period after a rhinoplasty, no oral function such as playing any musical instrument will change your surgically altered nose.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Indiana University Health North Hospital
Carmel, IN 46032

Post rhinoplasty activity

After you have a rhinoplasty - really any surgery, everything is healed (meaning as strong as its going to me).  That means tha at 17 weeks you should be fine to do anything - definitely a clarinet.

Bivik Shah, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

6499 E Broad St
Columbus, OH 43213

Better get back to practicing your clarinet because you do not want to lose your talent!  You should be fine.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

9834 Genesee Ave
La Jolla, CA 92037

Playing a musical instrument post rhinoplasty

Playing the clarinet post Rhinoplasty will not have an impact on your surgical result overtime. I would see your surgeon and bring the clarinet with you and show him what you are concerned about. I am sure that he/she will put your mind at ease and will be able to tell you when to return to this activity.

Michael Elam, MD

360 San Miguel Drive
Newport Beach, CA 92660