Will I Be Able to Play Violin After Breast Augmentation?

I Play the Violin and Am Going for a Sub-pectoral Breast Augmentation in Two Weeks' Time. Will I Still Be Able to Play?

Violin playing and a breast augmentation

+2

Your question reminds me of a joke.  The punch line is "Well I couldn't play one before!"  You should have no problem.

Breast Augmentation will NOT Impair Violin Playing or other Activities

+2

Regarding: "Will I Be Able to Play Violin After Breast Augmentation?
I Play the Violin and Am Going for a Sub-pectoral Breast Augmentation in Two Weeks' Time. Will I Still Be Able to Play
?"

When breast implants are properly chosen to fit a particular woman's chest and when the operation is properly done, a Breast Augmentation will NOT permanently disable any activity or pursuit you were engaged in before surgery. If you were a violinist, pianist, painter, fencer, weight lifter or surgeon you will be able to resume these activities after a short recovery period.

Good Luck.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Play Violin After Breast Augmentation

+2

As the usual response says, "Only if you could play before!" Thus, I see no reason why this is of a concern but why not discuss with the operating surgeon. This is called informed consent and you should have ALL your concerns settled before surgery!

Breast Augmentation in Violinist

+2

Although you will have a period post-operatively when it will be uncomfortable to practice, you should have no long term problems with resumption of your violin playing.

John Whitt, MD

Only if you could play before

+2

You will most certainly be able to resume your violin playing and this procedure should not compromise that once you are fully recovered.

The immediate post operative period may be a different story as some woman experience discomfort on raising their arms to shoulder level and above during the first week. As the healing progresses range of motion and strength are regained. By 4-6 weeks most woman tell me they have become accustomed to the presence of the implant and that it does not limit their activity at all.

good luck and I hope this was helpful

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation will not limit a full and active life

+2

After breast augmentation there should be no physical limitation and this will include playing the violin or any other active endeavor for that matter. I am certain there are violinists out there who will support me on this view.

peterejohnsonmd

Returning to violin playing 2 wweeks after breast augmentation

+1

Depending on how vigorous you play the violin, I bleieve you could return at 2 weeks with gentle movement and minimal resistance.

Resuming activity after breast augmentation

+1

A subpectoral breast augmentation is associated with more discomfort, however this discomfort improves rapidly. You should be able to resume playing the violin without difficulty following a breast augmentation. Whether or not you have discomfort at 2 weeks time is very patient specific, but for the majority of women, this is not an issue.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Violin Playing No Problem After Breast Augmentation! "If You Could Play Before?"

+1

I got caught on this one my first year out of training in 1994.  I had just explained to an older gentleman how I was going to reconstruct a  large wound on his chest.  He asked, "Will I be able to play the Violin afterwards?  after which I confidently answered, "Yes!  You will be able to play after the soreness goes away!"  Well then came the punch line, "That's funny, I couldn't play one before!"  Maybe some of the other surgeons have not heard this one.

If this is a real question, please forgive my initial glib reference above as I could understand why a serious violinist would be concerned.  Fortunately, the answer is still the same Sub-pectoral Breast Augmentation.  There will be no effect on your ability to play after the soreness goes away and you are completely healed.  You could begin playing the violin as soon as you feel comfortable doing so. Generally, I let patients return to ANY activity, including full exercise and heavy lifting within three weeks after surgery.  

David L. Mobley, MD, FACS
Sarasota Plastic Surgeon

Playing a Violin after Breast Augmentation

+1

2 weeks after breast augmentation playing the violin may be somewhat uncomfortable.  This greatly depends on where the implants are placed.  Above the muscle (less discomfort) below the muscle (more discomfort). Regardless, follow the advice of your plastic surgeon to ensure an optimal outcome.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS