Platysma muscles causing double chin or fat? (photo)

I've recently noticed that I have gained a double chin. I doubt it's fat because I have been underweight my whole life (21 in 2weeks and 150-160 pounds). I've tried growing facial hair to cover it but it's still very noticeable(especially the front view). Is there anything I can do to reverse this? I've tried excercises that tighten the area under my chin but it seems to only make it worse.

Probably fat rather than platysma

Platysma muscles usually create two parallel bands down the sides of your neck.  They are worse when you flex your muscles like a bodybuilder.  It appears that what you have is a small amount of fat under the chin.  This is common in young healthy people of normal body weight.  It can easily be removed using laser liposuction.  It is performed under local anesthesia with oral sedation.  Down time is a couple of days.  Good luck!

Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

329 18th Avenue North
Nashville, TN 37203

Fat not platysma muscles most likely cause of double chin

Even though you are thin and fit small deposits of fat can occur beneath the chin and create a double chin.

You are young and based on the distant photo which is shown it is unlikely that you have significant platysmal banding at this age.

Of course you need an in person examination by board certified plastic surgeon to give you a proper opinion.

However based only on the photograph you show my suspicion is that you do not have platysmal banding and that a laser-assisted liposuction of the submental region beneath your chin might help.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

195 Commonwealth Avenue
Boston, MA 02116

Double chins occur in many different situation.

Localized fat under the chin can be present even if you are at a healthy weight. A clinical examination will determine if this is amenable to predictable correction. In younger patients, I frequently perform SmartLipo to this area with nice lasting improvements and little recovery time. 

Dr. Mosher

Mathew C. Mosher, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

301-8837 201 Street
Langley, British Columbia V2Y 0C8

Treatment of heavy chin

1. First see your regular doctor for a thyroid blood test. Low thyroid causes swelling here.
  2. If the thyroid is ok, an exam by a plastic surgeon will tell you if you need fat removed with neck liposuction, plastysma tightening or (usually) both done for your best result.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

2045 Peachtree Rd NE
Atlanta, GA 30309

Most likely fat

This is an area that some people just deposit more fat.  Also, the platysma may need to be tightened.  You need to be examined to determine the cause.  Both issues could also be congenital.

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

123 Summer Street
Worcester, MA 01608

Platysma muscle or fat causing double chin

It is best to examineyour chin area and feel for the fat.  Based on the picture and your age what you have is fat. Tumescent liposculpture with fine cannulas help this area tremendously.  In the past 10 years I have achieved amazing natural results with this technique.  The cost of this procedure is about $1000.

Afshin Farzadmehr, MD

1125 South Beverly Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90212

Platysma muscles causing double chin or fat?

In someone who is 21 years of age, the issue is typically excess fat in the area under the chin as well as a weak chin that creates the double chin. The fat can be treated with conservative liposuction and the skin can be expected to contract after liposuction in most young people. A chin implant would also help lengthen your jawline and further sharpen the neckline as a result.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

9695 S. Yosemite Street
Lone Tree, Colorado 80124

Double chin correction

Based upon the photo you have a weak (receding) chin and maybe a bit of residual baby fat. A chin implant can be used to lengthen the chin (and jawline) thus taking up some of the slack in skin under the chin. Liposuction May or may not still be necessary to thin out the baby fat. Glad to help. 

Ryan Stanton, MD

9090 Burton Way
Beverly Hills, CA 90211

A chin implant and chin liposuction would produce a nice improvement.

435 North Roxbury Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Double chin in a thin patient

this just happens to be your anatomy.  It is partly due to your mandibular and chin anatomy and an anatomical or genetic predisposition to having a deposit of fat here.  I would say urinary good candidate for liposuction under the chin preferably laser-assisted liposuction.  You could further augment or improve these results with a chin implant.  These things can be done under local anesthesia and for both procedures the cost can range from anywhere to $4000 up to 6 or $7000.

Your platysma muscle is present in this area but really has little to do with your issue.

Best of luck

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

2550 Samaritan Dr Suite F
San Jose, CA 95124