Platysma muscles causing double chin or fat? (photo)

I've recently noticed that I have gained a double chin. I doubt it's fat because I have been underweight my whole life (21 in 2weeks and 150-160 pounds). I've tried growing facial hair to cover it but it's still very noticeable(especially the front view). Is there anything I can do to reverse this? I've tried excercises that tighten the area under my chin but it seems to only make it worse.

Fat not platysma muscles most likely cause of double chin

+1
Even though you are thin and fit small deposits of fat can occur beneath the chin and create a double chin.

You are young and based on the distant photo which is shown it is unlikely that you have significant platysmal banding at this age.

Of course you need an in person examination by board certified plastic surgeon to give you a proper opinion.

However based only on the photograph you show my suspicion is that you do not have platysmal banding and that a laser-assisted liposuction of the submental region beneath your chin might help.

Double chins occur in many different situation.

+1
Localized fat under the chin can be present even if you are at a healthy weight. A clinical examination will determine if this is amenable to predictable correction. In younger patients, I frequently perform SmartLipo to this area with nice lasting improvements and little recovery time. 

Dr. Mosher

Mathew C. Mosher, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Treatment of heavy chin

+1
  1. First see your regular doctor for a thyroid blood test. Low thyroid causes swelling here.
  2. If the thyroid is ok, an exam by a plastic surgeon will tell you if you need fat removed with neck liposuction, plastysma tightening or (usually) both done for your best result.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Most likely fat

+1
This is an area that some people just deposit more fat.  Also, the platysma may need to be tightened.  You need to be examined to determine the cause.  Both issues could also be congenital.

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Platysma muscle or fat causing double chin

+1
It is best to examineyour chin area and feel for the fat.  Based on the picture and your age what you have is fat. Tumescent liposculpture with fine cannulas help this area tremendously.  In the past 10 years I have achieved amazing natural results with this technique.  The cost of this procedure is about $1000.

Afshin Farzadmehr, MD

Platysma muscles causing double chin or fat?

+1
In someone who is 21 years of age, the issue is typically excess fat in the area under the chin as well as a weak chin that creates the double chin. The fat can be treated with conservative liposuction and the skin can be expected to contract after liposuction in most young people. A chin implant would also help lengthen your jawline and further sharpen the neckline as a result.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Double chin correction

+1
Based upon the photo you have a weak (receding) chin and maybe a bit of residual baby fat. A chin implant can be used to lengthen the chin (and jawline) thus taking up some of the slack in skin under the chin. Liposuction May or may not still be necessary to thin out the baby fat. Glad to help. 

Ryan Stanton, MD

+1
  A chin implant and chin liposuction would produce a nice improvement.

Double chin in a thin patient

+1
this just happens to be your anatomy.  It is partly due to your mandibular and chin anatomy and an anatomical or genetic predisposition to having a deposit of fat here.  I would say urinary good candidate for liposuction under the chin preferably laser-assisted liposuction.  You could further augment or improve these results with a chin implant.  These things can be done under local anesthesia and for both procedures the cost can range from anywhere to $4000 up to 6 or $7000.

Your platysma muscle is present in this area but really has little to do with your issue.

Best of luck

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck Lipo?

+1
Base on your age and the one picture, It appears you may be a good candidate for liposuction alone. A smll chin implant would also help your neckline. The entire cost of surgery in my NJ office is $4350 which includes all fees including professional, anesthesia, implant, and facility fees. Consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

George C. Peck, Jr, MD
West Orange Plastic Surgeon