Low Plateletes Count. What Can I Do To Bring This Up For My Lipo Surgery?

I'm scredule to have lipo surgery done, but my Dr. told me that he's concern about my platelets count because they are sligtly low 35.5) what can I do to bring this number up, should I take some vitamins, Iron or any other suplement, So I can go ahead with my surgery? I will apreciated your comment. thank you

Low platelets and liposuction

+2

Hi, China.

Your platelet count is low enought that there is a risk to your general health, not just a risk during liposuction.  You need to be evaluated by a hematologis to get on top of this.  There are many causes for low platelets, many of which can be easily addressed.  You should NOT have any procedure until this is sorted out.

Low platelets

+1

This is not normal and I think you are lucky this was found out. I would go to a hematologist to get an evaluation as to why you have low platelets.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Absolutely NO surgery

+1

until you have found out why you have low platelets, and corrected the situation if possible. There are certain conditions where the patient must be given platelets prior to surgery, and you should know about this is well. In the meantime, defer on liposuction until you have clarified this issue, it is your body and you need to have the correct information to take care of it properly.   

Eleanor J. Barone, MD

Abnormal platelet counts and cosmetic surgery

+1

Bleeding problems can also arise if the number of platelets is too high or too low. This situation can be caused by cancer, infection, chemotherapy, radiation, poisons, medications, nutritional deficiencies...

Low platelet counts can be divided into those due to decreased production of platelets and those due to increased destruction of platelets. The normal platelet count is 150,000 to 400,000/mm3. Surgical bleeding becomes a problem with platelet counts less than 50,000/mm3. Spontaneously bleeding occurs at platelet counts less than 10,000/mm3. There are also conditions where the platelet count is very high (above 1,000,000/mm3) that are associated with abnormal bleeding during surgery. In such cases the platelet count has to be lowered before undergoing surgery. The life span of a normal platelet is 10 days. A transfused platelet has a life span of only 4 or 5 days. The treatment for abnormal platelet counts will depend on the cause of the problem. At 35,3000/mm3 you are at significant risk of dangerous bleeding from any type of surgery. You need to be evaluate and treated by a hematologist before undergoing any elective or even emergent surgery.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Low platelets and liposuction

+1

Hello China -

No, supplements are not the answer. 

• You should see a Board Certified Hematologist to find out before you have surgery.
  • Your count is 35,000. The normal is about 150,000 or higher.
  • Some kinds of easily treated anemias cause this. Some viral infections and medicines cause it. For some people, a low count is normal for them. But there are serious reasons it can happen too. This must be checked out first. 

Why? Each area of liposuction uses platelets to stop bleeding. If you don't have enough, you could bleed seriously and end up in hospital. So have this checked out.

Best wishes 

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD