Why Are Plastics Docs So Down on Other Specialties Injecting?

I could understand if these plastics docs were actually the people injecting these products, I suppose. And, anyone who has been practicing longer than the 10 years these have been out weren't trained either. Because they didn't exist! But so many times these plastics surgeons are having PA's, Np's, and even just regular RN do these injections. How can you turn on fellow doctors and use a RN for this? I would rather have an actual DOCTOR do this any day, than a nurse.

Why do some doctors condemn other specialties

+2

Competition among specialties has always gone on, but you are correct that it is inappropriate to condemn others and then delegate your injections to a non physician.  As a matter of fact, most current injectables were initially developed by or with the assistance of dermatologists, not plastic surgeons.  It is always appropriate to ask the office if the doctor does his own injections and if he is board certified in a "core" specialty ( Dermatology, ENT, Plastic Surgery and Oculoplastic Surgery). 

Miami Dermatologist

The smart patient always asks if the doctor will personally be doing the cosmetic injections.

+1

The smart patient always asks if the doctor will personally be doing the cosmetic injections; then asks what specialty the doctor is trained in. Dermatologists and plastic surgeons have specific residency training in these techniques, not just a weekend course as some others may have.

William P. Coleman III, MD
Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

Filler injectors

+1

I am the only one injecting fillers in my practice.  I think that it takes a physician who is trained in aesthetic procedures like a core physician (plastic surgeon, dermatologist, facial plastic, or oculoplastic surgeon) to have a reasonable amount of expertise to perform these safely and correctly.