Plastic Surgery when Disabled?

Post my gastric sleeve surgery in the UK I will be visiting friends in the States and hoping to combine the visit with a possible breast lift and/or tummy tuck. I am unable to stand or walk. I use a hoist for all moving and handling. Is this something which would preclude me from having surgery with most doctors or is there any doctor who has done this type of surgery on someone like me. I am aware of the increased risks due to my condition and will not be travelling for a while post surgery.

Plastic surgery for the disabled

+3

Thanks for your question. The disability you describe does not prohibit you from seeking out and obtaining elective plastic surgery. I am not even sure that it really even means that there is increased risk, at least for the breast surgery. The biggest issue will be dealing with movement and activity post-operatively, and still protecting your incisions and surgical areas from undo stress. Most board certified surgeons will be able to advise you on this-- good luck!

Matthew Concannon MD

Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Plastic Surgery when Disabled?

+3

The techniques for whatever surgery you might choose would not be different, but the accommodations for your disability would need to be arranged in advance. It might take a bit more planning, but you should be able to schedule your surgery. 

Thanks for your question, best wishes.

Breast Lift in Los Angeles

+2

We encourage patients to plan surgeries when they have optimized their health. Surgery is strenuous on the body.  If you feel that you can tolerate the procedure physically, barring any medical concerns, you can undergo the surgery. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS