Will Get Plastic Surgery (Specifically a Nose Job) Change my Singing/speaking Voice?

thanks :)

Despite old 'wives-tales' a rhinoplasty should not change your voice

+3

I used to be in a group practice with a PhD who treated professional singers ranging from Rock to Opera. Rhinoplasty, even Septoplasty should not change your singing voice. A properly trained voice is generated by the lungs, chest, larynx (voice box) throat and mouth. The nose is excluded. Rare rock singers rely on a "nasal" quality but for the rest there should be no affect. The rumors that Barbara Streisand couldn't get a nosejob because of her voice are not true.

Rhinoplasty and Voice Changes

+2

Over the years I have performed rhinoplasty surgery on many professional singers and entertainers - to date, none of them have noticed a perceptible change in their voice production. Although internal nose work can indeed change the resonance of your nasal speech pattern, this is not something that is readily heard. I think you can safely proceed with this notion in mind. Good luck.

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

It will not change your voice

+2

Your voice will not change with a nose job. While it is swollen, there will be a difference, but as that goes away, your voice will be the same. 

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Rhinoplasty and voice changes

+2

An operation that is performed exclusively to contour the nose should not normally alter the resonance of your speech.  However, if the nose is twisted, bent, C-shaped, S-shaped or "caved in" and the resonance of the speech is abnormal due to this then a rhinoplasty alone (to correct the appearance of the nose) may alter the resonance....to a more normal one.

If the structure of the nose is not affecting the breathing then a rhinoplasty will most likley not alter the resonance of the speech.  If you are altering the appearance of the nose in addition to a deviated septum or something internally that is causing a blockage then this may allevaite the obstruction and actually improve the resonance of the speech.

Michael A. Carron, MD
Detroit Facial Plastic Surgeon

+2

Most likely Rhinoplasty would have no effect on the quality and nature of your voice.  It is important, IMHO, to avoid ET tubes and use an LMA for your general anesthetic in order to avoid any possible damage to your vocal cords that would change your voice.  Hope this helps.

Nasal surgery can absolutely change your voice quality

+1
The nose is where the head voice comes from. Changing the shape of the nose changes your instrument. I operate on many professional performers and broadway singers. The voice will be less nasal when straightening a deviated septum or reducing inferior turbinates. Making a nose smaller may decrease the resonance inside the nose as well. For most people the change won't be noticeable. My performers are aware that their voices may change and many have "cleaner" voices after surgery. One opera singer had a couple of extra notes on her upper register within 3 weeks of surgery. Her vocal coach was very pleased.

The following is a reference from the General Plastic Surgery literature. 

Garrett H. Bennett, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

The effect of rhinoplasty/septoplasty on voice

+1

While your breathing may or may not be affected (depending on the procedures performed) there will be no perceptible change to your singing/speaking voice.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Nose job does not change voice.

+1

Hi.

Rhinoplasty certainly does not change your speaking voice, and it probably will not change your singing voice.  That's been our experience, but it is possible that resonating chambers may change slightly.  I would not guarantee that singing voice will not change at all.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Rhinoplasty does not change voice

+1

Rhinoplasty does not effect an individual's singing voice. The only way it can effect is if there is scar tissue afterwards that causing narrowing of the nasal passages or nasal vave collapse. Even then it is more relevant to professional singers and not regular folks.

Remember after every rhinoplasty there is a time period of swelling that changes the voice and it can easily last up to six weeks. So schedule your surgery way before any singing engagements.

Regards

Dr. J

Disclaimer: This answer is not intended to give a medical opinion and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty Probably Won't Change Your Singing Voice...

+1

Probably not.

Rhinoplasty can narrow the piriform aperture (the triangular opening in the face through which the air travels when you breathe through your nose) if the bones are broken (and they typically are in rhinoplasty) which brings those bones in and can narrow that opening.  This may result in slightly reduced airflow -- though this can be compensated for by improving other aspects of breathing including straightening the septum and reducing the turbinate size (turbinates being the vascular structures which can get enlarged with nasal allergies).

My recommendation would be to consult with a Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon who is well versed in the function and form of the nose.

Jeffrey Rawnsley, MD