Can You Have Plastic Surgery to Remove Stretch Marks on Upper Calves? (photo)

I have had three kids and after my 3rd child I began to get stretch marks on the back of my knees and upper calf area. Having them I am so VERY VERY self conscious of my legs. I know stretch marks are near impossible to get rid of, but is there any opinion you may have? Thanks -Wendi

Plastic Surgery for Stretch Marks is not advisable

+1

I do not recommend plastic surgery to treat stretch marks because the resultant surgical scars may be more prominent than the original stretch marks you were trying to treat.  We have had great success with treating stretch marks with lasers.  We usually start with the Pulsed Dye laser for which we published the first abstract ever on stretch marks.  This helps the skins depression, color, elasticity and extent. 

There are many treatment options available for the improvement of stretch marks, such as the V-Beam, IPL, Fraxel and Pixel lasers as well as Thermage.  In addition, Excimer laser may be helpful for the lighter skin.   I suggest that you schedule an appointment with a board-certified dermatologist experienced in lasers for an in-person assessment. 

Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Treatment of stretch marks with laser

+1

In my office, we use an ablative fractional laser that works very well to improve stretch marks.  Stretch mark treatment may require more than one session but has long term benefits.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Plastic surgery for stretch marks is not a good option

+1

In my opinion plastic surgery is not a good option to treat stretch marks. Cutting them out would lead to surgical scars which might look worse than the stretch marks. I would recommend finding a physician with expertise in laser surgery like a board certified dermatologist and seeing what options you might have with lasers. 

Omar Ibrahimi, MD
Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon