Plastic Surgeons Vs. Experienced MDs when Having Liposuction?

I have seen a plastic surgeon for liposuction and he has only performed approx 200 liposuction procedures. Is enough to be good at performing lipo? Where as i know MD's who are not qualified plastic surgeons but are much more experienced and have performed a lot more than 200 liposuction procedures. So my question is, which do i chose? is it better to go with a qualified plastic surgeon who has performed less or a MD who has performed more?

Experience and knowledge when it comes to liposuciton

+3

I agree with Dr. Sattler. AS one of my professors used to say when individuals asked why it cost so much to cut out a gallbladder: " you are not paying me to simply know what to cut, you are paying me for knowing what not to cut".

Who should I entrust my life to : a Plastic surgeon or a non-plastic surgeon but "experienced MD"

+2

Who should I entrust my life to : a Plastic surgeon or a non-plastic surgeon but "experienced MD"? Whenever you consider having ANY medical treatment, you SHOULD ask yourself the same question:
- when I have my brain tumor removed, shall I have it done by a Neurosurgeon or by an experienced and very personable Family Practice doctor?
- when I have spine and herniated disc operated on, shall I have it done by a Neurosurgeon or by an experienced and very personable Family Practice doctor?
- when I have heart operated on, shall I have it done by a Cardiac Surgeon or by an experienced and very personable Family Practice doctor?

To get the best care - Pick the best doctor for the job. Pick a properly trained and certified surgeon for the job.

Next time you fly an airplane, would you prefer to know the pilot flying the plane was properly trained and certified or would you prefer to pay less and fly with a non-properly trained / certified pilot who gained his experience in several weekend flying courses?

To get THE absolute BEST results, you should have your operation in a AAAASF or Medicare certified operating room by a Plastic surgeon (certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery - who is a Member of The American Society of Plastic Surgeons - www.PlasticSurgery.org). Doing otherwise you are knowingly risking your appearance and possibly your life.

Liposuction qualifications

+2

Ask yourself this question: will the surgeon that performs your liposuction be able to handle any and all complications of a liposuction procedure?

Fat grafting for a contour abnormality?

Hospitalization for a pulmonary embolism?

Excisional procedure (tummy tuck) for residual skin laxity?

If he's not a plastic surgeon- chances are he'll answer 'no' to all of these questions.

In fact, ask him next time you see him.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Dermatologic surgeons and plastic surgeons pioneered the flield of liposuction.

+1

Dermatologic sugeons and plastic surgeons pioneered the flield of liposuction. These are also the only specialties which require training in this procedure. The best strategy is to find a dermatologic surgeon or plastic surgeon who has plenty of experience, and good recommendations from doctors in the community. See link below for more information.

William P. Coleman III, MD
Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

Board Certification in Plastic Surgery Does NOT Make The Doc A Qualified Liposuction Surgeon!

+1

There are so many things that contribute to a qualified surgeon in liposuction.  Years of Experience and exceptional results are high on the list.  Board certification in any field is a bare minimum requirement but is used way toooooo often by some groups as their  only qualification.  Liposuction is an art and takes an artist's eye to accomplish what most patients desire and deserve in this day and age where we have nearly perfected the techniques by using micro canulas and local anesthesia. 

200 liposuctions is just 1 yr of experience to some of us who focus our practice on liposuctions and who have over 25 yrs experience.  Nobody has outstanding results in every single patient but experience is very important and the willingness to adapt to the changing procedures, the ability to fix any irregular contours and the doctor - patient connection and trust are high on the list.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Who does the best liposuction!

+1

Someone who is experienced AND gets very good results. While numbers are important for know different body types, how much fat to leave, etc., you should see real patients who the surgeon has done who are happy.

Liposuction

+1
Liposuction is done well by both plastic and dermatologic surgeons. Tumescent liposuction was invented by Dr. Jeffrey Klein, a dermatologic surgeon, and this made the procedure very safe.

Ronald Shelton, MD