Do All Plastic Surgeons Perform Ethnic Rhinoplasty?

Hi surgeons,

I'm a mixed race girl and I have a boulbous tip. My nose look good from the sides, but boxy at the tip. I would like the tip of my nose to be pointy and straight just like my dad.

Do I have to go to a Rhinoplasty surgeon who performs on ethnic people, or it does not matter? Can all Rhinoplasty surgeon perform on ethnic people?

Please help. I'm Confused! I have been researching about Ethnic Rhinoplasty for the past year. I want to get my nose done in October. thanks.

Ethnic Rhinoplasty for Natural Results

+1

It is very important to find a board certified plastic surgeon who has ample experience performing rhinoplasty as it is one of the more complicated facial procedures and is specific to each patient’s genetics. Be sure to find a plastic surgeon that has experience working with different ethnicities and nasal structures. Each ethnicity differs in anatomy and skin type so special techniques should be employed accordingly. Schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced with both traditional and ethnic rhinoplasty to help guide you in achieving your cosmetic goals.

Ethnic Rhinoplasty

+1

The goal of “ethnic rhinoplasty” is to refine the nose and achieve an optimal, natural aesthetic result without diminishing all traits of ethnicity. In the past, plastic surgeons were trained to have a very narrow, homogenized perception of beauty that was based on the Caucasian ideal. A “one-size fits all” attitude was applied to rhinoplasty where nearly the same operation was performed on each patient seeking rhinoplasty. Now, doctors, patients, and current culture in general have a more global concept of beauty without one true “ideal;” rather, facial harmony, individuality, and symmetry are most-valued.

Jaime Perez, MD

Ethnic rhinoplasty

+1

It is important to go to a surgeon who has done thousands of rhinoplasties. If a surgeon has done thousands of rhinoplasties, then she/he has done many ethnic rhinoplasties. It is important to communicate your goals to the surgeon, and that the surgeon communicate back to you, the patient, about what the expectations can and will be after the surgery. The bulbous tip that is present in the pictures can be reduced through tip suturing techniques without removal of cartilage. This can be done from an endonasal approach, not the external rhinoplasty, which can leave an unsightly scar across the columella, especially in thick, olive, oily ethnic skin.

Ethnic Rhinoplasty

+1

There is no such thing as an ethnic rhinoplasty specialist. The physical characteristics of your nose are also present in individuals of different ethnic groups. What you need is a surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty.  

Rhinoplasty Expert is needed

+1

There are no specialists in ethnic Rhinoplasty but there are those who specialize in Rhinoplasty. All excellent Rhinoplasty Surgeons have the expertise to do what is needed to try and meet your expectations. Look at lots of pictures and especially consider the number of Rhinoplasties that a particular Doctor has done in their lifetime. Experience in this field is the best predictor of success.

S. Randolph Waldman, MD
Lexington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ethnic rhinoplasty surgeon for nasal surgery

+1

Any plastic surgeon who performs rhinoplasty will be able to perform ethnic rhinoplasty. Nasal surgery is specific for each patient. One surgery for one particular ethnic nose will not be the same for another ethnic nose.

Speak with a rhinoplasty surgeon for a consultation. After a comprehensive in-person evaluation, can the plastic surgeon develop a ethnic rhinoplasty plan which is appropriate for you.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Experienced rhinoplasty surgeons perform ethnic rhinoplasty, which means that they understand and treat the anatomical and cultural characteristics of different ethnicities.  Our largest subset of rhinoplasty patients are middle easterners,  south/central americans, and eastern europeans.

In your case it seems that you need your tip refined   a bit, and possibly the width of your nostrils.  

Ramtin Kassir, MD