Most Before and After Photos Show Only A Slight Difference, Why? Need Help Finding A Surgeon in San Diego Area?

Im searching San Diego Rhinoplasty surgeons before & after photos and becoming seriously disconcerted by what I'm finding. Profiles are important but also frontal views. The ones I do happen across, generally dont display any significant improvments. If I spend that kind of money for those results I would be livid. Why on earth would these doctors use them to advertise their work? Curious? I need help locating one capable surgeon in the San Diego area please help!

Most rhinoplasty results are shown in profile.

+1

Hi.

1)  You are absolutely right.  We usually show results in profile.   There are several reasons.  One of them is habit.  Also, more patient complaints are about their profile and the results tend to be more dramatic in profile. 

2)  And many times a subtle change is exactly what's called for.  Remember:  A little improvement in the nose can result in a huge improvement in the attractiveness of the face.

Frontal view rhinoplasty changes

+1

It can be hard to show the changes to the nose on frontal view in some medical photos due to limitations in image resolution, etc. That being said, the frontal view is also the less forgiving when it comes to making changes with rhinoplasty, especially in the tip area.

You must remember that not all patients want drastic results, either. Many times the given rhinoplasty result is based more on patient preferences rather than an aesthetic "ideal".

I find that the true test of an excellent rhinoplasty surgeon is their frontal view rhinoplasty results. In many ways this is the most important for a patient as this is the view of the nose that they see most often.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Rhinioplasty

+1

I definitely understand your point.  Most patients coming in for rhinoplasty are seeking removal of the bridge of the nose.  This is best shown on side views photos.  Unfortunately, front on photos usually do not demonstrate this very well, for a very simple reason.  The photos only shows things in two dimensions  and do not do justice to the change shown by removing the bump. I find this in  my own photos as well as those shown by others.  Nonetheless,  before and after photos are quite important to show especially for rhinoplasty.  It helps in communication between patient and surgeon and gives you a good idea as to what kind of work the doctor does.  You should only proceed with rhinoplasty, or any other surgery for that matter, if you are comfortable with the surgeon and you feel confident that he or she can deliver the kind of result you are seeking.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Most before and afters show only mild change.

+1

How right you are.  Understand however that pre and post op photos are taken with high res cameras for quality images.  File sizes must be drastically reduced for posting many photos on a single gallery web page to accelerate loading speed of the page, so finer changes of a rhinoplasty are not likely discerned.  Also understand many patients do not want a big change, and specifically demand only minor adjustments that don't significantly change their appearance.  A third factor to consider is the vast majority of after photos are taken four to twelve weeks following the procedure, at a time when there is still soft tissue swelling, and the inevitable forces of contracture haven't yet occurred.

With the above in mind, I believe, although only a small sample is shown, the photos on our gallery show dramatic and beautiful changes.  

Steve Laverson, MD

Caution with before and after photos...

+1

There are many pitfalls involved when you choose a surgeon based on online before and after photos.  You cannot always trust what you see on the Internet.  For a discussion of this issue, check out my recent blog post.

Andre Panossian, MD, FACS
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty results differ from surgeon to surgeon.

+1

Rhinplasties results vary and depend on what the patient wants--not always what the surgeon likes.  That said you may have to look elsewhere for a surgeon who does noses you find attractive.