Doctor Recommendation for No Drain Tummy Tuck in San Francisco Bay Area

I can't find any in the SF Bay Area, apparently "no drain" procedure in fairly new - I saw some PSs in New York, TX even CO but does anyone practice it in California? (Bay Area specifically, I really don't want to travel for tummy tuck as the procedure is a lot of downtime)

No drain tummy tuck

+3

Dear Diamond,

I have done any number of abdominoplasty procedures with drains and without and I can go over all of this with you. It mostly depends on your anatomy, your expectations, and your lifestyle and schedule whether it is best to use drains or not. I do not think it is a good policy for a plastic surgeon to say they always do or do not use drains, but rather what is best for you.

Thank you,

Dr. Romano

Tummy Tuck in San Francisco Bay Area

+2

The most important consideration is to find a respected and qualified board certified plastic surgeon. Once you find him/her, the surgeon can explore your options in terms of techniques. Don't get sucked in by marketing. In San Francisco, Dr. Roy Kim and Dr. Shahin Javaheri are possibilities. Consult with 3 - 4 surgeons to understand your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Performing a tummy tuck with no drains

+2

Leaving drains in place after a tummy tuck can help decrease the incidence of a fluid collection (seroma). If you use enough progressive tensions sutures (quilting sutures) drains can possibly be avoided. I typically use both in my tummy tucks. The drains may be temporarily inconvenient but are probably the best way to avoid seromas.

Good luck,

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

+2

Dear Diamond,

I perform tummy tucks both with and without drains. I would be happy to review with you the differences between the two and to address your overall body contouring needs.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD

Use of drains in Tummy Tuck vs No drain Tummy Tuck

+2

You are misguided in your quest. Just because there is new hype about no drain tummy tuck does not mean it is the way to go.  Tummy Tuck requires 2 weeks to recover with, or without drains.  Use of drains actually reduce post operative swelling by removing fluid rather than trapping small pockets of fluid, that  wait to be absorbed by your body.

All surgeons can do "no drain tummy tuck" if they wanted to do it.  However everyone is not convinced by merits of its claims thus everone does not offer it. Stop looking for someone who offers this hype to get more patients and find a reputable trained plastic surgeon in your vicinity and you will do well. 

Vasdev Rai, MD

No Drain Tummy Tuck

+2

Tummy Tuck procedure continues to evolve and the latest innovation is the "No Drain" tummy tuck which is a procedure where the abdominal closure is tight and prevents fluid accumulation that would otherwise have to be drained with surgical drains.  I find an additional benefit of this procedure is that the scars look better and are better positioned.

Because it is a new variation on the Tummy Tuck surgery, you will most likely just have to call several offices to ask about it.

Sincerely,

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Progressive tension sutures are commonly used for TT

+1

I'm guessing that you are referring to a TT technique that uses progressive tension sutures to obliterate the space beneath the abdominal flap and underlying abdominal wall. This is a great technique. There are certainly surgeons in the pacific northwest that use this technique. I'm one of them. Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon in your area for a TT consultation.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS