Are Any Of These Plastic Surgeons Also Certified As General Surgeons to do Umbilical Hernia with Abdominoplasty?

I have been told I need to find someone who can do both at the same surgery. mary

Hernia Repair At The Same Time as Tummy Tuck Surgery

+2

Many plastic surgeons have had general surgery training prior to their plastic surgery training, some are double board certified in general surgery as well as plastic surgery and are comfortable taking care of hernia repairs at the same time as a tummy tuck procedure.  

I would suggest visiting with well experienced plastic surgeons and asking them if they are comfortable repairing the hernia and/or if they have performed this procedure for other patients.  Talk to patients who have had this performed.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_tummyTuck.htm

Umbilical hernia repair with a tummy tuck

+2

Yes, it is very possible to perform an umbilical hernia repair at the same time as an abdominoplasty.  I am Board Certified in both general surgery as well as plastic surgery and perform these two operations together for my patients who have a hernia.  Many times if you have an umbilical hernia it makes sense to repair it when having a tummy tuck. Often times the umbilical hernia portion of the operation is covered by insurance. Good luck.

Katy Plastic Surgeon

Umbilical hernia and tummy tuck can be done at same time

+2

It is quite common to repair an umbilical hernia at the same time as a tummy tuck procedure. Most plastic surgeons have a general surgery background and can quite easily treat both. If the umbilical hernia is quite large or will require a mesh repair, then a general surgeon may assist the plastic surgeon with the hernia repair. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to see if your hernia will require additional assistance from a general surgeon.

Dr.Bruno

Web reference: http://www.williambrunomd.com

Tummy tuck and umbilical hernia

+2

It certainly makes sense to do both of these under the same anesthetic, and to recover from both procedures at the same time. 

You actually have two choices. Either finding a plastic surgeon who is comfortable doing hernia repair, or finding a plastic surgeon who will work with a general surgeon who does hernia surgery. Choose the plastic surgeon you feel comfortable with for the tummy tuck, and that surgeon decide who should fix the hernia. 

Most plastic surgeons are trained and qualified to repair umbilical hernia at the time of tummy tuck.

+2

Most plastic surgeons are trained and qualified to repair umbilical hernia at the time of tummy tuck.  Discuss this specifically with the plastic surgeon you choose to make sure he/she is comfortable doing so.

To be sure, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.  I hope this helps

Abdominoplasty and Umbilical Hernia Repair

+2

Most plastic surgeons started out as general surgeons and are more than capable of repairing an umbilical hernia during the abdominoplasty procedure.

Umbilical Hernia with Abdominoplasty

+1

Many board certified plastic surgeons started their careers as general surgeons, and many are qualified to perform an umbilical hernia at the same time as the abdominoplasty. The ASPS website is a good starting point to identify qualfied, board certified plastic surgeons. Consult with 3 - 4 expert and experienced board certified plastic surgeons to explore your options.