Would a plastic surgeon ever have Ultherapy in his/her tool box?

The way I see it, the answer is no. Surgeon's do surgery. Am I right at least 90% of the way?

Ultherapy for Lifting Face and Neck

+1
Dear x, thank you for your question. Ultherapy is the only FDA approvednoninvasive device for lifting the face and neck.It uses focused ultrasound to target the deep tissues above our muscles, as well as more superficial layers.Our San Diego clients have been very pleased to see significant results with no downtime.

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ultherapy for Non-surgical Tightening

+1
My practice offers many non-surgical procedures for the patient that for various reasons doesn't want or is not ready for surgery. Ultherapy is one of them; it provides skin tightening for the younger patient or a great touch-up for the facelift patient.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Ultherapy in the Tool Box ?

+1

Sounds like a question posed by an Ulthera salesman. But the answer is yes. My brother is a plastic surgeon in Los Angeles and uses Ultherapy in his practice, individualizing treatments to patient needs and expectations. 

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

Plastic surgeons use Ultherapy when surgery is not the best choice

+1

Plastic surgery works best for some things, other procedures such as Botox, dermal fillers, Ultherapy, and others work best where surgery is not indicated. Ultherapy works well for patients in their 40's - 50's who are not ready for a facelift, and as with all nonsurgical procedures it is not an alternative to a facelift; it fills a different need. So by offering a range of procedures, plastic surgeons are able to provide a complete and individualized approach. Beware of anything touted as a "nonsurgical facelift" by someone who doesn't do facelifts.

Richard Baxter, MD

Ultherapy in the Tool Box? Of Course

+1

This is a very good question and the answer is of course it belongs in our tool box. We as Surgeons aren't as monolithic as you might assume! Although my preference as a Facial Plastic Surgeon naturally gravitates toward the operating room, not all of my patients want to have surgery. In a certain subset of these patients, typically in late 40's to mid 50's with early aging changes, Ultherapy is an acceptable choice for facial soft tissue tightening. Ultherapy is best described as a niche treatment, for those patients who want to address submental fullness and early jowling (or low set brows) and who are likely to have a reasonable result with the procedure. I would be very skeptical of a Doctor who recommends Ultherapy as a first line treatment for a patient in their late 60's to early 70's. These patients typically have aging changes that outmatch Ultherapy's ability to deliver. Ultherapy is not and never will be a replacement for a facelift, but is a helpful addition to our arsenal.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ultherapy

+1

Surgeon's do indeed perform surgery, but it is certainly not all we do. Complete aesthetic rejuvenation involves skin resurfacing procedures, injectibles such as BOTOX and Juvederm, and non invasive lifting and tightening procedures such as Ulthera. Ulthera is a very good treatment for people that don't need surgery yet, don't want surgery, or cannot have surgery for medical or other reasons. It's an important alternative tool in the tool box.

A. Joshua Zimm, MD