My Plastic Surgeon Told Me Never to Let Anyone Liposuction my Face. I Am Forty Years Old, Do You Agree?

Liposuction of the face?

+4

Thank you for your question.  When liposuction was first introduced in the 1980's every area of the body was treated by plastic surgeons. Then as more experience was gained we realized that generally the face was not a good area to treat for a number of reasons.  Of course, there are always exceptions to every rule but since you are asking a general question I would agree with your plastic surgeon's advice  not to undergo liposuction of the face.  The neck however, in the right patients, can be very effectively treated with liposuction. 

I strongly suggest that you do not Lipo your face!

+3

I agree, liposuction of the face is a terrible idea that would lead to loose skin and a hollowed/aged appearance. There are also great risks of nerve injuries that affect facial expression.

Marc Malek, MD

Your PS gave you good advice

+3

Liposuction of the neck and submental area is frequently beneficial, but on your face it can cause problems like dents, grooves and nerve injury.  More improtantly is the fact that you will lose fat with aging as well as muscle and bone.  Restoring volume to the aging face is an important aspect in facial rejuvenation.  You may later regret removing what volume you have now so I would agree with you PS.

Lori H. Saltz, MD

Facial liposuction can cause regrets

+3

A well recognized part of facial aging is loss of fat and volume, and down the road facial liposuction can cause regrets. In our practice, we never suction above the lower jaw. Some will disagree, however we spend so much time replacing facial fat during facelift it makes no sense to remove when young.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com

Best to not liposuction the face

+3

Liposuction should not be performed above the jawline IMO because of the risks of dents and grooves in the cheeks from lipo done too superficially and the risk of muscle and nerve injury if it is done too deeply.  The difference between too shallow and too deep in the cheek is very narrow.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Facial liposuction

+2

The answer depends on what you are having treated - submental and neck liposuction is fairly common either as an isolated procedure or with a facelift.    Since we tend to lose fat volume in our upper face as we age, fillers and fat grafting are more common than removing fat in those areas.

Michelle Spring, MD

Liposuction of the lower face and neck

+1

liposuction of the lower face and neck had been a benificial too in my practice...with the right patient, it can stay off a formal facelift and give excellent results with minmal risk, scars, and down time....I hope that answers your question... regards  

Alan Weiss, MD

Liposuction of the Face?

+1

It is hard to give you good advice without direct physical examination. Generally speaking however I think that the majority of patients are not good candidates for liposuction of the facial area.  As we age  we will find that we miss the fullness/youthful look that fat in the face provides.

Liposuction in face

+1

Liposuction with or without internal or external ultrasound is a well established molality and option in counturing of face and neck. Of course it depends on the given patient. Sometimes it may be the onlly choice for a patient who is not prepared to undergo face lift operations and interested in scarless procedures with quick recovery time. It would be more helpful  had you posted your photo for our assessment

Fereydoon S. Mahjouri, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Facial liposuction

+1
You haven't explained why you might want to liposuction your face. Let me say that the aging face loses volume. Liposuction, which would result the volume of fat in your face, would produce sagging. In general, the appropriate place for liposuction could be in the submental or neck region if fat deposits are apparent in those areas and the skin has the ability to retract postoperatively.

Robert L. Kraft, MD