Would a Plastic Surgeon Perform Surgery for Minor Eye Bags?

I am a 20 year old male who lacks confidence and a problem with underneath my eyes. I don't know if it's caused by my computer work or hereditary, but I have what a surgeon would call minor eye bags.

They give me a tired look and I hate it. If I tighten my eye muscles, then they disappear which leads to me to believe that they are caused by too much muscle perhaps. Would a plastic surgeon perform surgery someone who has less severe eye bags? Thank you.

Surgery may not be the answer

+2

Though an examination is always critical to determine the best course of action, given your age it is likely that fillers placed along the bone of the eye socket would help to fix your problem. Though some patients as young as you are have problems with exccess lower eyelid fat, it is often a mismatch between the cheek and lower eyelid which can be fixed with non-surgical measures such as facial fillers. I would agree with the suggestion to visit a facial plastic surgeon, plastic surgeon, or dermatologist who has experience with facial fillers.

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid Bags

+2

Your surgeon (whether a board certified plastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon or oculoplastic surgeon) certainly would want to see you and examine you in person, but also take a thorough medical history (family and personal) to include life style habits, use of medications, and any systemic illnesses, etc. There may be different reasons for the "bags" and you would want to get the best solution with the least amount of risk. If there are non-surgical alternatives, they should be tried first. Removal of fatty bulges are relatively simple to perform and with minimal risk, if it is a problem with excess fat or skin (or both).

Theodore Katz, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Injectable fillers work well to camouflage the appearance of lower eyelid bags.

+2

Before considering surgery, you should consult a certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon experienced with the art of using fillers in the lower eyelid. I have had good success in young patients your age.

I've attached a photo of an 18 year old with lower eyelid bags treated with Silikon-1000.

I hope this helps, and best regards

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

It is possible

+2

Dear Kirk,

It would be easier to assess your problem with a photograph to examine. There are two things that could be causing your eye bags. A hypertrophic prominent muscle ,( what you have already suggested), or a profound amount of fat buldging from the lower part of your orbit. This could be a familial trait when seen at your young age.

A surgeon could correct both problems , although the excess fat correction has a more predictable result. See a plastic surgeon. They will be able to tell if and what surgery is right for you. Good Luck.

Leslie H. Stevens, MD

Lower lid eye bags in a young man

+1

Thank you for your question about your lower lid eye bags,

• when you tighten your eye muscles, the bulge goes away because tight muscle pushes excess fat back under the eye,
  • The eye bag is caused by excess lower lid fat,
  • usually hereditary; computer work may worsen it,
  • Yes - a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon can correct this,
  • a transconjuntival lower lid lift with fat repositioning is usually best.
  • Temporary fillers are unlikely to be satisfactory for this. Hope this helps.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Lower eyelid surgery

+1

The targets for lower eyelid surgery are excess skin and orbital fat.  Lower eyelid surgery can be performed for minor cases, if there is a need.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Yes a plastic surgeon would perform surgery for minor eye bags

+1

Minor eye "bags" or fat in young patients can be removed from inside the lower eyelid resulting in no external scar.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD