Plastic Surgeon Sat Me Up to Close Incision, Is This Normal?

I had a tummy tuck revision to remove skin that relaxed during the first year post op of my tummy tuck, my plastic surgeon told my husband he had to sit me up a little to close the incision. This is scaring me a little, I go back to see him on Monday ( will be 5 days post op ) with my first tummy tuck I was laid flat to close, can anyone explain possible reasons he chose to sit me up to close? Will this effect my posture or final result? My surgeon is board certified.

+3

Bending the patient forward at the waist during an abdominoplasty is a standard technique-- it allows the surgeon to take as much skin and fat away as possible. In my practice the patients are allowed to start walking "straight" after about a week, and by the end of the second week they can stand fully upright without needing to bend.

Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck position during closure

+2

It is very normal for patients to sit upright during the closure of a tummy tuck. This allows for an easier closure of the incision and allows for more skin/fat removal during the surgery. I just made a very brief video of a tummy tuck which is on my youtube channel  williambrunomd if you are interested.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

It is normal

+2

Most plastic surgeons will sit the back of the bed up or place the patient in a flexed position at the time of skin closure to remove a bit more skin and facilitate the closure.  I would be surprised if it was not done first time around although if it wasn't maybe that is why there was relaxation after the first procedure.  This will be a good question for your plastic surgeon.

Thank you for your question and best of luck.

Ralph R. Garramone, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Flexion at Time of Tummy Tuck Closure

+2

Sitting a patient up a little bit or flexing the operative table to bend the patient at the middle for closure of a tummy tuck incision is quite common. It helps ease the tension on the incision at the time of the closure and ensures that the maximum amount of abdominal skin has been removed. It will have no long-term effect on your ability to stand straight or your posture.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Sitting up position to close TT

+2

This is quite common.  After the flap is elevated, the surgeon can remove a little more skin if the patient is flexed at the waist a little ("sitting up").  This is often called the "lawnchair position".  This allows a more snug closure - which looks better once things have healed.  It will in no way affect your posture after the first few weeks of healing.

Thomas Fiala, MD

Sounds pretty standard...

+2

It is fairly standard to sitting the patient up (place the patient in the lawnchair position) to determine the amount of loose tissue to remove and close the incision.   So don't worry.   Best of luck.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Position during tummy tuck revision

+2
Placing the patient into a flexed position during wound closure is standard and will have no effect on your posture. The goal is to achieve the best possible result.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Sitting up to close abdominoplasty incision

+2

Almost every plastic surgeon will flex the bed to determine how much skin to remove.  The patient stays in this position for 7-10 days gradually getting more upright.   

It will not effect your posture beyond the first couple of weeks as the soft tissue relaxes.  It will effect your final result as it will be much tighter and flatter than it would be otherwise.

York Jay Yates, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Positioning during Tummy Tuck Surgery?

+2

It is quite standard to place patients  in a  flexed position  (probably what your plastic surgeon was referring to as “sitting you up”)  during the closing stages of tummy tuck surgery. This positioning allows for plastic surgeons to remove the optimal amount of skin and subcutaneous tissues;  otherwise patients are likely to be left with too much redundant tissue after the tummy tuck surgery.

In other words, I do not think you have anything to be concerned about in this regard.

Tummy tuckcquestion

+2

I always sit people up to figure out how much skin to remove. About half way up (40 degrees) is where I stop. If you don't it will not be tight. Tight means it looks better.

Victor Au, MD
Chapel Hill Plastic Surgeon