Should a Plastic Surgeon Always Honor a Posted Price?

I went to a consultation with the nurse for laser lipo about a month ago and was quoted a price of 2,500 for the lower and upper abdominals. I opted out of getting the procedure due to scheduling issues. I now see they are offering a price of 850 dollars for surgery. I called the nurse and was then told this is 850 per area which would make it 1,700 dollars. She got a bit upset when I didn't want my love handles done and quoted me a price of 2,250 for the surgery. This just does not seem right.

+1

You should see a plastic surgeon for liposuction, not a nurse.  The quoted price is low.  If you want a significant result, find someone who delivers significant results.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of liposuction procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Docs should honor their posted prices.

+1

I see a few red flags to consider in your case. First, you should be having the consultation with a doc rather than the nurse unless the nurse is doing your surgery which would be scary and wrong. Next, the prices quoted are soo cheap that it makes sense that it is laser lipo since they are the cheapest now because of all the complications and less than satisfactory results. $2500 for the full abdomen is ridiculous. Unfortunately you get what you pay for in liposuction. The number of areas counted varies alittle from doc to doc. Some docs consider the upper right and upper left abdomen as 2 areas and the lower right and lower left also as 2 areas and the love handles as 2 areas. Some list the full abdomen as 2 areas, others as 4. Also there may be a minimum number of areas such as 6 per lipo for the special pricing. Always read the fine print. You need to feel comfortable with your doc and the office and everything should be discussed up front. I would get a few other consultations elsewhere. Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Surgery Prices

+1

Like most advertising, all of the details of posted specials can only be had in a complete discussion of the offer and costs.  (It sounds like you would still get a discount even with the details all laid out.) 

If you are seeing a nurse first this is really a "pre-consult"?  Is this actually a spa setting and not a plastic surgeon's office? 

Remember you usually get just what you pay for!  Bargains are often not "bargains" in the end.

Deborah Ekstrom, MD
Worcester Plastic Surgeon