Plastic Surgeon or General Surgeon For A Tummy Tuck?

I am 2 years out from weight lost surgery and recently had a check up with my weight lost doctor. We discussed a tummy tuck. I recently noticed he is a general surgeon and does great hernia repairs and great weight lost surgerys. I want to know what is the difference and should I be worried? My consult is next week, but I am also having a consult with a PS to be on the safe side.

Plastic surgeon for a plastic surgery procedure

+2

While it may sound biased coming from a plastic surgeon, but to me it's so simple.  A plastic surgeon should perform a plastic surgery procedure.  As a plastic surgeon I am probably not the right person to take out an appendix no matter how simple it may seem.  A general surgeon should not be doing a tummy tuck no matter how simple it may seem to him/her.  It's the finer details, that you learn about during a plastic surgery training, that make all the difference in the quality and safety of your outcome.

It's a no-brainer

What type of surgeon to use for a tummy tuck.

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss.  Now it is time to get rid of the extra tissue.  For abdominoplasty, best to seek out a board certified plastic surgeon.  Veiw photos, and ask how many of these does he/she do.  Like any technique, there are little things that can make a big difference. 

Jeffrey Roth, MD

General surgeon or plastic surgeon for tummy tuck?

+1

Weight loss surgery and tummy tuck surgery are two COMPLETELY DIFFERENT surgeries.  Just because a surgeon is great at one, does not mean he or she'll be great at the other.  For hernia repairs, a board certified general surgeon is a great choice. For tummy tucks or other cosmetic procedures, I would strongly advise you to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon.  

I do lots of tummy tucks on massive weight loss patients, and if they have a large hernia, I ask a general surgeon to work with me ... he repairs the hernia (his specialty), and I do the tummy tuck (my specialty). I hope that helps and wish you all the best!!

James Knoetgen, III, MD
Fresno Plastic Surgeon

Plastic Surgeon or General Surgeon For A Tummy Tuck

+1

With the selection of any surgeon, you will need to ensure that the surgeon has requisite skill and expertise in the procedure you wish. Consult with 3 - 4 experienced surgeons to find the right fit. Compare the before and after photos of the surgeons on both technical skill and artistic talent. The surgeon you choose should be experienced and expert in the tummy tuck procedure and understands your objectives.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Would you hire a plumber to fix your car?

+1

If you are getting plastic surgery, then clearly your surgeon should be a plastic surgeon. From the other responses, it seems that a consensus has been reached.

Matthew Schulman, MD

PS or General Surgeon for a Tummy Tuck?

+1

I would certainly recommend a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. To put it in layman's terms I will use a current example in my life.  I am currently building a house, I have a general contractor who oversees the work, he is certainly knowledgeable about building houses and could if he wanted complete the plumbing and electrical in my house, he would probably do an OK job, but this is my house that I will sleep in every night, I will use a Master Plumber to run my pipes and a Master Electrician to run my electrical, it may cost a little more but they have spent a few extra years learning the ins and outs of their trade and will stand behind their work and I will be able to sleep sound at night. A GS could do it, but I would want someone who does nothing but plastic's type work and has spent many years of his life training to give you the best results possible. Good luck!

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

General v. plastic surgeon for tummy tuck

+1

Board certified plastic surgeons have training specifically in procedures such as the abdominoplasty.  Most of us are fully trained in general surgery first and then continue on for an additional two years of training devoted solely to plastic surgery.  I would not presume to perform bariatric surgery, even though I completed a general surgery residency. There is a big difference between a hernia operation, which takes less than 30 minutes and is the first case that a surgical intern is taught to perform, and the full abdominoplasty.  I recommend that you undergo surgery with a board certified plastic surgeon.  Perhaps your bariatric surgeon could recommend someone (other than himself!).  Best of luck!

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Tummy tucks performed by Plastic surgeons

+1
I would recommend getting your tummy tuck performed by a Board certified Plastic surgeon. Best of luck!

Dana Khuthaila, MD, FACS

Plastic Surgeons are tummy tuck specialists

+1

While a general surgeon is a very well trained and educated physician, plastic surgeons are specifically trained to perform this procedure. In addition, there are a number of alternative procedures with massive weight loss patients than plastic surgeons are pioneering at this time.

William Loutfy, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Who should perform my tummy tuck, a general surgeon or tummy tuck?

+1

The answer to the  question posed regarding who is most appropriate to perform a tummy tuck is quite simple. It's definitely a plastic surgeon. Body contouring is what a plastic surgeon has been trained for, amongst other areas of contouring and reconstruction. The trainig of a plastic surgeon involes aresidency program along with the Board examination is very rigorous and comprehnesive. There is no other specialist, therefore, more qualified to do the TT. A general surgeon is trained in abdominal surgery ( gall bladder, intestinal, etc.) and should limit himself( herself) to that field. Many plastic surgeons have been trained in general surgery prior to entering a residency progran in plastic surgery, but they will not perform  abdominal surgery afterwards. You should consult with a Board certified plastic surgeon, and your best bet would be to have a plastic surgeon perform your TT. Good luck!

George Lefkovits, MD