I Have a 6 Week Old C-section Wound, OB Suggested Seeing a Plastic Surgeon, is that a Good Idea?

what can a plastic surgeon do for an open c section wound that is about 1/8 inch open? I had to be opened up 6 days post op due to hematoma and have been undergoing wet to dry packing daily for past 5 weeks. I sought second open at different ob and she mentioned sending me to plastic surgeon. Im just curious what could be done and if this could mean another surgery? Im also having pain on right side still. ob that performed section said he thought it might be related to ilioinguinal nerve????

C section wound

+1

Plastic surgeons are skilled in wound care issues.  They can best decide the course of action to insure rapid closure of your wound.  Donald R. Nunn MD

Open wound after c-section

+1

Yes, if you are having difficulties after c-section then you should see a plastic surgeon to have the wound evaluated.  If there is any sign of infection, they you they may have you do dressing changes until the infection has cleared.  At that point, they may be able to do a scar revision.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Delayed Healing after C-Section

+1

It is difficult to give specific advice without actually seeing you. If your problem was truly just a hematoma, then there is no reason your couldn't have been re-closed at the time the hematoma was evacuated. However your OB apparently felt otherwis, so you are now going down the road of delayed wound healing. This can take many weeks and it sounds like you are almost healed. Inevitably you will have a less satisfactory scar. It is unlikely that a plastic surgeon can do much to alter the outcome at this point. After 6 months you might want to consider seeing a plastic surgeon if you wish to have the scar revised.

Braden Stridde, MD
Federal Way Plastic Surgeon

Open wound after c-section

+1

Thank you for your inquiry. It is difficult to give you a specific recommendation without examining you.  However, the treatment for open wound is conservative care, whether it be wet-to-dry dressing change or VAC therapy.  It is a good idea to see a wound specialist or a plastic surgeon to follow along with your progress.  Once the wound is closed and you are not happy with the scar, a plastic surgeon can revise the scar as well.  In regards to your pain, it may be due to nerve impingement or due to having an open wound.  Best wishes.

Sugene Kim, MD

+1

Packing a would for 5 weeks sounds like a long time to me and probably does to your OB as well...I think what they are recommending is a visit to a Wound Care Specialist, which some Plastic Surgeons are, treating very chronic and long standing wounds. Might be a good idea to find one. The first part would be getting this to close up and the second is making the scar look better a year later, if needed..

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Plastic Surgeon for open C-section wound

+1

Thank you for your question.  The referral was probably intended to get good recommendations for wound care and to follow you along and help you heal. Atfter your incisions/wounds have healed, the plastic surgeon and you can decide in you will or will need a scar revision.  Pain can be associated with any open wound so it is hard to say if you have any nerve damage. Discuss this specifically with your OB and/or plastic surgeon. To be sure, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.  I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Plastic Surgery Consultation for C section Wound?

+1

There may be a specific reason that your OB/GYN felt like plastic surgical consultation may be helpful to you. Generally speaking however,  at this point the advice you receive will probably be to continue the dressing changes and allow for wound healing to occur. After scar maturation ( approximately one year),  scar revisionary surgery may be contemplated.

Again, there may be a reason why your OB feels like plastic surgical consultation may be helpful;  you may want to run your question by your OB/GYN.

Wound after C-section

+1

Hi there-

While you don't mention an infection, the management your OB followed suggests one... This is typically why a wound would be left open with packing...

At this point, unless there is information I am not aware of, the only benefit of seeing a plastic surgeon would be to be sure that the wound care regimen you are following is as good as it can be for your situation. 

If you are interested in the opinion of a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon because you would like the eventual scar to look as good as it can, you should know that you will almost certainly be told that there is nothing to be done at this time other than continued wound care until you have healed. Once the scar has formed and matured, scar revision may be possible.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Postop C-section wound

+1
I am surprised that an obstetrician is referring to you to a plastic surgeon at this juncture. Certainly, if you have a bacterial infection, referral to an infectious disease physician for proper management of a systemic problem would be appropriate. A plastic surgeon can certainly treat an open surgical wound and, if the ultimate scar is unacceptable to you, could offer scar revision at a later date.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

WHO should Manage an Open C Section Wound?

+1

A few facts: a wound hematoma, sausage like blood collection, is NOT subtle. It is big, purple , painful and a wonderful food source for bacteria. A hematoma is drained immediately and need not wait for 6 days.  Once a clean (uninflected) hematoma is evacuated, the wound is thoroughly closed and is commonly closed back again. However, waiting occasionally results in bacterial growth in the blood collection resulting in an abscess , a pus pocket. These mst be emptied and washed but cannot be. Closed. Instead, they must me caked and dressing changed once or twice daily until the wound heals from the inside out. If the wound is clean the process will me. Fe weeks. 

From your description it sounds like your hematoma was not drained promptly and became an access which had to be left open. Who should treat it? All surgeons were trained from their internship days to believe you should not do an operation if you cannot manage its surgical complications. You have no business performing an operatin if you cannot handle its complications including a wound abscess.

There certainly are cases when Plastic surgical expertise may be helpful in handling complex wounds. However, in many cases patients with wound complications are literally passed off like hot potatoes to Plastic surgeons by other surgeons who do not like to look at much less manage their complications. 

Pin your case, ask your dictir who will help you heal fastest. Go with that doctor.