Excision Tattoo Removal

I live on long Island and am having a hard time finding a surgeon who will do multiple excisions. I can't live with this tattoo. Its very large and brand new. I need it gone. Laser is not an option because of its size. almost 8"x5" in size. It looks very large due to swelling. I can live with 7 giant scars then to have this on my forearm.

Tattoo Excision

+4

Tattoo excision is a common treatment - especially after failed laser treatment. In most cases, you will have to have serial excision. What this means is that as much of the tattoo is excised that will allow minimal tension on the closure. After the area heals, another excision is performed using the same incision/scar, but removing another ring of tissue. This process is repeated until the entire tattoo is completely removed. Good luck.

Surgical removal of tattoo

+4

Such a large tattoo on the forearm needs to be removed either by serial excisions (excising, waiting for relaxation, then re-excising) or with use of tissue expansion. Laser removal can be attempted over multiple session and if that is not satisfactory you can proceed to surgery.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Surgical excision can have excellent results

+3

While laser may be the most common option for tattoo removal, it is quite costly and certainly does not 100% remove the ink.  I have had beautiful success at staged surgical excisions of large tattoos that patients were quite happy with.  This also avoids the possibility of allergy to tattoo pigments before and after laser therapy.  The major negatives are that it definitely takes time if done correctly- several months depending on the size of the tattoo and you have to be willing to accept the scar.  The major benefits are that it can be less expensive and it really does remove the tattoo completely!

Victoria W. Serralta, MD
Arlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser tattoo removal

+2

There are many larger tattoos that have been effectively removed or significantly faded by laser treatment. Serial excisions can be done but there is a risk of a painful raised hypertrophic scar. Try the laser first.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Excision of Tattoos is No Longer Necessary

+1
Excision of tattoos is no longer necessary when you have the technology available from the Alex Tri-Vantage laser.  The laser is uniquely qualified to treat all colors of tattoos in all skin types.  This painless procedure is the best way to remove a large tattoo and makes excisions a thing of the past.  For the best cosmetic results please consult a board certified dermatologist with experience with tattoo removal.

Michele S. Green, MD

Laser tattoo removal vs surgical excision

+1
You would be best served by seeking a knowledgeable surgeon who has experience with both laser tattoo removal as well as serial excision of tattoos so that you may fully understand the pros and cons of the two options.  I personally believe your best option would be to undergo laser tattoo removal of the forearm tattoo as a you will most likely obtain a very acceptable clearance of your tattoo ink with minimal chance of scarring as opposed to surgical excision.  A high quality tattoo removal laser used by a knowledgeable and experienced physician will give you an excellent result. 
Best Regards,

Jacque P. LeBeau, MD

Jacque P. LeBeau, MD
Pensacola Facial Plastic Surgeon

Excision Tattoo Removal

+1

-If you have already consulted more than one board certified plastic surgeon, and they refused to do it, you may be requesting something that is not realistic.

Tim A. Sayed, MD, FACS
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Cutting out a large tattoo not necessary with new Picosure tattoo removal laser technology.

+1

I hope you have not already had surgery for your tattoo. 8" by 5" is not too large for the new Picosure laser to tackle. It's faster and less painful than traditional laser technology, and handles difficult colors better than traditional laser technology. It is likely to be FAR more effective than you are imagining. Please consider coming in for a consultation and trying it (it also works in fewer sessions and is less painful) before resorting to surgery and creating a large scar.

Jessica J. Krant, MD, MPH

Tattoo removal - Laser vs. excision

+1

Tattoo laser technology has made significant advances in recent years that less treatment sessions may be required compared to what we had in the past. Q-swtiched Nd:Yag laser is the gold standard. Ink particles deposited underneath the skin get vaporized by Q-switched laser and taken up by scavenger cells of our immune system. Excisional removal should be the last resort as the cosmetic outcome is by far superior with tattoo laser removal.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

Tattoo Removal Options

+1

Hi there-

With technological advancements in lasers, there is no question that particularly with a large tattoo, your best option for removal would be through a laser treatments.

Specific lasers are required, as not just any would work, but this would be your best bet.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS