Is It Possible To Do A Brow Lift and Hairline Advancement At The Same Time?

Why does the Plastic Surgeon I talk to tell me that he can't do a brow lift & hairline advancement at the same time, when doctors do those together all the time! Also, he tells me I don't really need a browlift. I obviosly l look in the mirror and know what I need. My eyebrows are droopy and I think it looks masculine. Is this doctor crazy or is it me? Maybe he doesn't know how to do it that is why he doesn't want to? He said I was good to go for getting the Rhinoplasty & Chin Reshaping.

Combining browlift and hairline advance makes total sense

+1
Absolutely! Browlifts oftentimes are done endoscopically. However, they can be combined with an incision in front of the hairline or at the hairline pretrichial/trichial which allows not only elevation of the brow but also advancement of the scalp behind the incision anteriorly. By advancing this posterior edge of the incision which includes the hairline, one can actually advance the hairline while at the same time lifting the brow. This procedure, a pretrichial endoscopic forehead lift, is a nice way to achieve lifting of the brows while also advancing the hairline. 

Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Brow Lift and Hairline Lowering

+1

Hairline lowering and bow elevation can and should be done at the same time.  Years ago we described the Irregular Trichophytic Hairline Brow Lift which enables us to maintain or improve he hairline position when doing a  brow/forehead lift.

Brow lift and hair advancement can be done at the same time.

+1

Brow lift and hair advancement can be done at the same time, but it requires a hair-line incision brow lift is performed.  I am not sure why your surgeon is against this procedure.  Perhaps a second opinion with a board certified plastic surgeon??

Michael A. Jazayeri, MD
Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Browlift and Hair line: Different Lifts for different hair patterns

+1

There are multiple types of browlifts and I differentiate utilizing one versus another with the amount of lift I need and how high and how dense the hair is. Browlifts can be as simple as botox injections and as complicated as a coronal biplanar browlift. Your surgeon may not be a plastic surgeon and only comfortable with the procedures they have recommended. I would consult with a boardcertified plastic surgeon that does cosmetic surgery of the face and nose. Dr. Trussler

Andrew P. Trussler, MD

Browlift with high forehead

+1

The desired amount of lift (including overcorrection) of the brows would be removed from the skin in front of your hairline. There is a greater risk for numbness  or unpleasant shock sensation (dysthesia) of the scalp with this type of incision. The scar should fade with time, but that depends on skin color and type. I would not recommend doing this for a "widow's peak" type of forehead/hairline. Best of luck, Dr. Fisher

Edmund Fisher, MD
Bakersfield Facial Plastic Surgeon

Browlift and hairline advancement-- 2 birds with one stone...

+1

Yes,  what you are describing is often the best option for patients with a tall forehead and drooping across the entire brow.  Many surgeons call this a pretrichial forehead lift, as the incision is right in front of the hairline. It takes several months for the incision to fade to its best appearance.  Patients who also do not wear their hair back are especially good candidates for this type of forehead lift.

Hope this helps.

Mark Lucarelli MD, FACS

Madison, WI

Mark J. Lucarelli, MD
Madison Oculoplastic Surgeon

Hairline Lowering and Brow Lift

+1

Hairline Lowering and Brow Lift should be performed together if you plan to do both procedures.  I can't think of any reason not to do them at the same time if you want both.  Please see our seminal article on this topic which includes before and after pictures of Hairline Lowering with and without Brow Lift.

Kevin Ende, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Browlift and Forehead Shortening As A Combined Procedure

+1

Just like a browlift loosens and lifts the forehead tissues upward, the scalp can be loosened and moved forward. They key to these procedures is that when done independently, they rely on having a fixed point onto which the loosened tissues are fixed. For the browlift, it is the frontal hairline, For a frontal hairline advancement, it is the forehead tissues as the fixed point. When doing a hairline (pretrichial) browlift and frontal harline advancement at the same time, which can easily and most conveniently be done together, the key is to create a point onto which both can be used for stabilization. There are different ways to achieve the fixation of the two flaps but I prefer to use outer cranial table drill holes with galeal suture fixation. This not only provides good fixation but keeps the tension off of the suture line so the hairline scar does not widen and excessively show. For the right patient, this combination can produce excellent results and achieve a more total forehead rejuvenation.  

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Brow lift with hair advancement

+1

Dear Miranda,

I'm at a loss as to why your surgeon would say that. I am inclined to suggest that you get a second opinion by a reputable Board Certified Plastic surgeon. Good luck Dr. H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Hairline advancement with a brow lift.

+1

This combination of procedures can certainly be done if you have both a high hairline and drooping brows. The surgeon you saw either disagrees within your analysis of your appearance or does not do brow lifting with a hairline approach. Get other opinions .

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon