If a Plastic Surgeon Chooses Not to Use Fibrant Sealants in a Lower Facelift What Does He Use Instead?

Evidently some plastic surgeons do not have full trust in this sealant made from heat-treated human blood components to inactivate virus transmission. They are used to hold tissue layers together at surgery and to diminish post-operative bruising following surgery.

Drains in lower facelift preferred over fibrant sealants

+2

We have been using #10 Jackson-Pratt drains with suction reservoir for the last 15 years with an excellent success rate.  The Jackson-Pratt drains serve the dual purpose of removing blood, which causes bruising from underneath the skin as well as preventing seroma formation that prolongs the healing process.  These drains are left in place for 2 days in women and 4 days in men.  We do not use fibrin sealants, mummy wraps around the face, or painful compression garments on our facelift patients.

Fibrin glue

+2

The use of fibrin glue is entirely unnecessary Ina facelift. It will be of no benefit, and it will likely cost you more money if it were to be used. I don't know of any plastic surgeon who uses fibrin glue in cosmetic surgery. A total waste of money.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Fibrin glue

+2

for years there was a promise of more rapid healing and enhanced results from tissue adhesion with the use of fibrin glue.  to the best of my knowledge no studies have demonstrated any long term or short term benefits.

these glues may be detrimental as they are prepared from blood products

alternate preparations can be prepared from the patient's own blood such as platellete rich plasma.  it is not clear if these help

i have been performing facelifts for many years with no added "glues", i do not believe they enhance the outcome

David V. Martini, MD
Elkton Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alternative to Fibrin Sealants in Facelift Surgery

+2

The best alternative to fibrin sealants during facelift surgery, which are supposedly used to decrease bleeding and therefore minimize bruising, is meticulous control of any bleeding during the operation. Over the last 35 years I've seen significant swings in its popularity by excellent, experienced surgeons.

No difference

+2

Long term studies have not shown any difference with respect to improved results or decreased complications  with the use of fibrin sealant, so surgeons do not use this regularly. There is nothing required after a facelift to help with bruising or results other than a surgeon with lots of experience.

Dilip D. Madnani, MD, FACS

Fibrin sealant and facelift

+2

I am not a fan of the fibrin sealant material. It is an added expense to pass on to the patient which in my opinion does not seem to offer much in terms of improved healing.  So why use it?

Using fibrin sealants for facelifts makes no difference two to three weeks later

+2

FIbrin sealants used at the end of a facelift is designed to reduce bleeding. In turn this will make the face less black-and-blue. Two very well respected surgeons published on the use of fibrin sealants. Their first articles stated how much they liked them and how well it works. Both published follow up articles concluding that maybe the face is a little less black and blue for the first week or so, but after two weeks there is no detectable difference in appearance or healing.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Fibrin sealants and facelifts

+2

Fibrin sealants are not necessary to have a good outcome from a facelift.  Some individuals claim that the sealants decrease bruising and swelling, and speed recovery.  However, to my knowledge, there is no definitive scientific proof that this is true.  As many of the surgeons have already stated on this website, good surgical technique is far more important to achieve a good surgical result instead of expensive and unnecessary products.  Remember, it isn't the product that is doing your surgery, but rather your surgeon.  Good luck!

Anureet K. Bajaj, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Fibrin Sealants in Lower Facelifts - Is it necessary?

+2

Fibrin Sealants or "tissue glue" have been around for a number of years and it has been claimed that they can reduce bruising, speed healing etc. It is my impression that the data to support these claims is not very strong. I have used Fibrin glue in the past in facelift procedures and did not find that it made any significant difference in the healing process. The use of these products adds time to the surgery, and additional costs, along possibly with some viral transmission risk from pooled blood components.

The degree of post-operative bruising has much more to do with careful surgical technique, attention to hemostasis during surgical dissection, careful control of blood pressure during surgery, and particularly just as you are waking up when the surgery is completed. So instead of Fibriin Sealant I use meticulous surgical technique with careful hemostasis, performed under anesthesia done by a watchful and experienced board certified anesthesiologist. Post-operative bruising is minimal and most patients are pleased by how little bruising they actually experience after facelift surgery.

Braden Stridde, MD
Federal Way Plastic Surgeon

Fibrant sealants after face lifts

+2

You don't need fibrant sealants for a face lift. Why not?

• Your body makes fibrin and will seal the wound.
  • Fibrant sealants add to the cost of your surgery
  • They add to the risk of your surgery - allergic reactions and disease transmission
  • I have tried them and found they did not speed healing. 
  • Good technique is better than a fibrant sealant. 

Hope this answers your question! Best wishes. 

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD