Can I Have a Plastic Surgeon As an Approach Surgeon for Anterior/posterior Lumbar Fusion?

I am very concerned about the scars from both the front and back after my spinal fusion surgery. I have to have an approach surgeon to assist the neurosurgeon, should it be a plastic surgeon?

+1

RE : " am very concerned about the scars from both the front and back after my spinal fusion surgery. I have to have an approach surgeon to assist the neurosurgeon, should it be a plastic surgeon?"

Because of our training and handling tissues Plastic surgeons could produce better appearing scars in some cases. However, scar attractiveness is not something insurance companies are willing to pay for. As a result, a Plastic surgeon would not be paid or paid very little for opening and closing for another surgeon since in the insurance company's view opening and closing the surgical wound should be done by the surgeon they are paying for doing the operation.

This does NOT stop you from asking your Neurosurgeon to ask one of his Plastic surgery colleagues who he trusts to do this part and you can pay that Plastic surgeon out of pocket for his work.  Most of us like interacting with other specialties and would not mind doing so.

Good Luck.

Dr. Peter A Aldea

Approach surgeon

+1

Certainly a plastic surgeon can assist with the closure of the wounds, but I would think your neurosurgeon has a general surgeon to work with to gain exposure anteriorly.

Aproach for lumber fusion.

+1

It is highly unlikely that you will find a plastic surgeon willing to do this.  Although many of us performed this procedure at early parts of our careers (in training),  I doubt many, if any still perform this surgery.  

I would suggest using the surgeon whom your neurosurgeon recommends, then if the scars are wider than you like, talk to a plastic surgeon about scar revision.

Richmond Plastic Surgeon