I Am Planning to Get a Tummy Tuck Done on August This Year but I Only Can Get 5 Days out of Work is This Possible?

I Am Planning to Get a Tummy Tuck Done on August This Year but I Only Can Get 5 Days out of Wok is This Possible? I work in a desk , nothing stressful ,no lifting or anything just typing so far.

Activity instructions for tummy tuck

+1

Thank you for your question.  In general, these are your activity restrictions with a tummy tuck:

Activities
Walk as soon as possible, as this helps reduce swelling and lowers the chance of blood clots.
Do not drive until you are no longer taking narcotic pain medications.
Do not drive until you have full range of motion with your arms.
No lifting greater than 10 lbs. for 6 weeks.
Resume sexual activity as comfort permits, usually 2-3 weeks after surgery.
Avoid straining of abdominal muscles. No strenuous activity or exercise for 6-8 weeks.
No swimming for 6 weeks.
Return to work in 2-4 weeks.
Physical therapy is not typically necessary after this procedure.

Discuss your restrictions with your plastic surgeon.

Time off for a tummy tuck.

+1

It is advisable to take two weeks off for a tummy tuck. Some patients return to work sooner (based on their job profile), but it is better to rest than to push it. At five days, you may be still taking pain medication, having difficulty getting up from a seated position, or unable to stand straight. Having to perform your responsibilities at work while recovering is not realistic.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Time off after tummy tuck

+1

I routinely tell my patients that they should take at least a week off work and frequently even two weeks.  Unfortunately, you have not provided us with any photographs, your height or weight and  job description.  This may help is determining how long you should take off work.  U have had patients returning to work after only 5 days, however the patients were small and their job was not physically demanding.

Best of Luck,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Time off before tummy tuck.

+1

For a full tummy tuck I would plan for at least 2 weeks off.  If you undergo a mini-tummy tuck with liposuction where the abdominal muscles aren't tightened, you will have a quicker recovery and may be back to work in a sedentary setting in 5-7 days. 

John Michael Thomassen, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

5 days off.

+1

This is a very personal issue. Some patients bounce back after few days and some few weeks. As a rule, for a desk work person, 5 days are sufficient to recover and return to work.  You will be still sore, but if you move slow, you will be able to drive and do desk work.

Shlomo Widder, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck recovery

+1

I had exactly this question from a patient during office hours, yesterday.  The honest answer is that five days isn't enough.  It would be easy to say, sure, do the case,  and let it be the patient's problem but that would be unethical.  You should plan for your schedule for at least two weeks off from work.  If you did not need to drive to work and had the flexibility to work from home sooner, it might be possible for you to do so but, from experience, I think it is much wiser to schedule the surgery around a holiday when you can get extra days off or, if you work in a seasonal business, to plan around the quiet times for your company.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Back to Work after Tummy Tuck?

+1

A full tummy tuck with a muscle repair takes awhile to recover from. I recommend my patients, that have desk jobs, take at least 2 full weeks off before returning to work.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Back to Work after Tummy Tuck?

+1

Most patients will  benefit from at least 2 to 4 weeks off work after tummy tuck surgery. As you plan for the procedure you may find the following words of advice helpful:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.

5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.

5 days is very short time to recover from TT

+1

While different patients have different pain tolerances, I would not recommend you plan a return to work after only 5 days of recovery.  If you plan on doing the surgery, you must be looking for the best result.  This should include giving yourself enough time to recover well.  Plan on a minimum of 10 days but more likely 14 days  before returning to work.

Jeffrey M. Darrow, MD

Tummy tuck recovery

+1

5 days isn't enough time off from work after a full TT.  You really need to plan for 10-14 days before most people would be recovered enough to go back even to a desk job.  It is important to give yourself the proper recovery time for a speedy recovery.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS