I am planning a rhinoplasty over the summer. Can you give me a breakdown of the recovery time?

I have the slightest hump on the bridge of my nose and my tip is a bit more bulbous as well as projected down more than it should. I was going to do rhinoplasty over the summer and I know 1 month after rhinplasty 70-80% of swelling will go down. By 4-6 months you should be able to tell what it'll look like but I am indecisive whether I should go through with the procedure. I will have about 3 months off before school starts again. By one month does it usually look better than before?

+1
After the closed rhinoplasties that I perform, patients generally look better in 2 weeks or so.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who has performed hundreds of rhinoplasties. Look for great reviews and great before and after pictures.

+1
Most people are able to return to school/ work/ social activities between 1-2 weeks following rhinoplasty. The bulk of your swelling will be gone by 3 months. However, full healing can take up to one year. Most people are comfortable with their result by 3-4 weeks but there is swelling that takes longer to resolve. Summer time is often the perfect break for young people seeking rhinoplasty. Good luck!

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty postoperative course

+1
It is certainly acceptable to perform rhinoplasty during the summertime. The 20% to 30% swelling will really be indistinguishable to most people except yourself. Visible bruising and swelling is usually subsided 2-3 weeks after the surgery although full healing does take one year after the  Rhinoplasty Procedure. For many examples and our Patient's Complete Guide to Rhinoplasty, please see the  link below

Rhino Recovery

+1
3 months to recover from your rhinoplasty surgery should be enough time for you to notice an improvement in your nose.  At 1 month, you may still have some swelling that will improve with time.  

Eugene Kim, MD

Rhinoplasty in summer

+1
It is a good time of year to have a rhinoplasty. I see a lot of students that want surgery over the summer before they head back to school.

Recovery time

+1
Your timeline is perfect. If you have 3 months to recover before school you should look great and have no activity restrictions. There will continue to be slow subtle changes for the rest of the year.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon