Planning to Have Breast Augmentation, is It Required That I Also Have a Mastopexy? Or Can I Opt out of That?

Planning, to have an augmentation.. currently at a 34A. I am 36 years old and have 3 children. Definitely no more on the way. I don't plan on going too big, possibly just 34B to C. After children I am left lacking. I was just wondering if I had to get the Mastopexy which is just fixing the actual nipple area a bit. I don't think I need that THAT bad. So I wanted to know if I could opt out of that?? Or is it all included, with no choice?

Augmentation

+1

The final decision is always yours. The plastic surgeon can only make recommendations on what we feel will give you the best result

Breast Lift with Augmentation?

+1

You always a have a choice, but the plastic surgeon may have a recommendation that may improve the way your breasts look  Every patient does not require a breast lift with breast augmentation.

Mini Ultimate Breast Lift combined with augmentation

+1

The goal of breast surgery is to create beautiful breasts.  Beauty is determined by several factors including symmetry, skin tone, position of breast on the chest wall, position of areola, cleavage, shape and least of all volume.  If you are a 34 A and want to be a B or C you would require only 100 to 200 cc implants.  However, if you want to change the position of your breast on the chest wall or your cleavage or your breast shape then you will require a technique called mastopexy.  There is a new technique using only a circumareola incision and avoids the vertical scars of the lollipop or boat anchor shaped incisions.  You may be a candidate for The Mini Ultimate Breast Lift combined with augmentation.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Is a mastopexy needed with augmentation?

+1

The answer is NO.  If you are an A cup, I find it hard to imagine how you could have changes that would require a mastopexy.  In general, if your nipple is above the pencil when its placed under your breast, you don't need a lift.  Other reasons for a lift cited are certainly valid but this is the most general rule.

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast Augmentation, is It Required That I Also Have a Mastopexy?

+1

A breast lift is usually done for one of these reasons:

•elevate the nipple and areola
•remove excess skin from the breast (after weight loss, pregnancy, aging)
•create or restore symmetry

Without a photo or some more info, I cannot tell if any of these are issues for you.  If not, implants alone will accomplish your goal. When patients have a lot of breast ptosis (sagging) after pregnancies, a lift might be needed if an enlargement is considered, but that is a case by case consideration.

When you ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S.

Augmentation and mastopexy?

+1

Not every patient requires a breast lift with breast augmentation, and there are variations to the type of mastopexy chosen as well.

Mastopexy is not always required with augmentation

+1

You can decide to hold off on the mastopexy if you are satisfied with your overall breast shape and nipple location. Augmentation alone will help restore the volume that was lost but not lifting the nipple up. You can also change your mind later and stage your mastopexy when you are ready. You have the final say.

Best Wishes

Stewart Wang, MD, FACS

Breast Augmentation vs Mastopexy with Implants

+1

Thank you for the question. Whether you require a mastopexy, which includes more than fixing the nipple area a bit, with your implant is dependent on the amount of breast ptosis present pre-operatively and how large of an implant you are willing to accept. I am afraid however that without the aid of at least a photograph it is not possible to give you an opinion on your case.

You should consider an in-person consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon which will afford you the one on one experience to acquire the information you seek and help build a level of comfort  with the procedure and surgeon. Make sure all of your questions and concerns are addressed adequately and realize that you have choices not only in the surgeon but in what procedure(s) you are willing to accept. No one can or should be allowed to force you into having a procedure that you do not want or are unsure of.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Pedro M. Soler, Jr., MD

Do Breast Lifts have to be Combined with Breast Augmentations? Ask Dr Ellen

+1

Hi Zani,

The answer is NO.  The choice is always YOURS.

Tips for you:

1.  Define your goal:  lift the breast?  add volume?  Both?

2.  Try sizers to get an an idea of the size/shape implant that looks good to you

3.  Learn from your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon if the implant you  have in mind will, in and of itself, satisfy your goals

3.  If that size implant is not large enough to fill the lax tissue and the nipple position will sit too low, then discuss with your surgeon other options

a.  consider if a larger implant will work

b.  consider if some form of breast lift in addition to the implant will meet your  goals

c   consider staging the procedures

d.  review with your doctor the associated risks and complications with each of these choices, long term results and chances of a revision some time in the future

Bottom line, take it step by step and get all the information before you make a decision.  There is no substitute for a one to one consultation.

Thanks for asking!  Dr Ellen

Ellen A. Mahony, MD
Westport Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift with implants.

+1

It is impossible to advise you weather or not you need a breast lift along with implants without seeing photos.