Can I Go on a Plane and Themepark Rides One Month After Rhinoplasty?

I have a trip to Disneyland booked in 4 weeks time and Im scared i wont be able to do anything? will I be able to go on themepark rides and the airplane? Ive have my surgery done yesterday. there hasnt been much swelling YET, and little to no pain. will the swelling of subsided somewhat by a months time?

Post op and amusement parks and flying

+1

Yes it'll be fine for you to fly and the rides, although your nose will not be completely healed until you are 6 weeks post-op.

Enjoy your Vacation!

+1

You may have some additional discomfort during the flight if you are still having difficulty breathing through your nose...nasal decongestants and chewing gum may help you during takeoff and landing!  At six weeks after rhinoplasty there are no restrictions on your activities! 

Eric Sadeh, MD

+1

You should always ask your Rhinoplasty Surgeon for specific post Rhinoplasty instructions.  At 1 month post Rhinoplasty, we release patients to do whatever they want but warn them that heat exposure and extreme exercise can cause increased swelling of the nose.  

Disneyland

+1

Have a great trip! You will definitely be okay for all the rides.  Just be careful of the sun as your nose will be more sensitive to burning.  By the way, I have a bone to pick with the folks at Disneyland.  They call it the happiest place on earth.  They are wrong!  The happiest place is the plastic surgeon's office!

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Travel after Rhinoplasty

+1

When the nasal packing is in-place I would avoid air travel as you cannot clear you sinuses.  Packing is in typically for three days.  After that I tell my patients to avoid strenuous activity for two weeks.  This keeps the swelling down.  

Rides and theme parks should not pose a significant problem at one month unless you hit your nose.  If a nasal fracture is necessary for your rhinoplasty your nose will always be slightly more susceptible to fracture from trauma.

For the most part your nose should look improved from the start.  But minor swelling may linger for up to one year.

Robert B. Louton, MD
Altoona Plastic Surgeon

Flights and Disneyland after rhinoplasty

+1

Dear crookedtrees

• first and foremost protect your nose from being hit or bumped (even if you are on rides)
  • prepare for nasal congestion when you fly by bringing nasal spray, decongestants, and
  • chew gum when you are taking off or landing to help equilibrate your ear pressure

Have fun

Travis T. Tollefson, MD, MPH
Sacramento Facial Plastic Surgeon

Exercise After a Rhinoplasty

+1

My experience has been that the nasal bones are pretty solid 2 weeks after surgery. Flying should be no problem, and theme park rides should be fun (plus you will probably have the best looking nose on the ride). Have fun!

Michael R. Menachof, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and activity

+1

By about 4 weeks you should be OK, although I usually have patients wait 6 weeks or so to restart exertional activity.

Plane and Themepark One Month after Rhinoplasty

+1

You should have no trouble with your plans after one month. Nasal bones are flat or membranous in type and heal very quickly as opposed to round bones like yoru arm or leg that take 6-8 weeks to heal. But if you bump your nose on anything it will still be very painful.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD