I Plan on Getting a Nose Job This Summer. I Am a Lifeguard. Will the Sun Exposure Be an Issue?

I'm a lifeguard over the summer. I wear heavy sunblock (50+) and there are umbrellas in our chairs. I plan on returning to work 3-5 days following the procedure as all we really do is sit in a chair all day. Would the prolonged exposure be an issue? I'd be in the sun for hours at a time. Would regular sunblock, and umbrella and maybe a hat be enough?

Sun and rhino

+1
In general, your nose has less natural protection from the sun right after rhinoplasty. All the tissue was just elevated off of the internal structure of the nose, including the bone and cartilage, and blood vessels were coagulated in order to do this. There fore we weakened the nose's natural defense since we weakened its blood supply. This blood supply grows back , but it can take quite a bit of time to happen. In the first 6 weeks, your nose is less naturally resistant to UV rays and is more likely to burn and get discolored. Also, since your nose is mostly numb early on, its less likely that you are to notice the problem until its too late. I recommend you stay out of the sun as much as possible in the first 6 weeks after surgery. If you are in the sun for short periods of time, stay in the shade, and wear a big hat and a good sunblock. Do not wear sun glasses in the first 6 weeks, or any glasses for that matter, if osteotomies were performed, (breaking of the nasal bones). You can get your nose wet as soon as the splint comes off, but I would be careful about chlorinated pools early on until the incision is fully healed an more mature, as the chlorine can irritate the incision. The gym and anything that increases you blood pressure will increase the swelling of your nose and delay your healing time. I recommend 6 weeks for this as well. Sometimes it can take longer for your skin to mature, even a year and more in some cases. I suggest that you wear sun block for at least a year every day while out in the sun.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and the Sun

+1

I generally tell my patients to avoid the sun as much as possible the first month. After this, heavy sunscreen with a SPF of 50 or greater is essential. 

-Dr. Zoumalan

Richard A. Zoumalan, MD

Rhinoplasty and sunscreen

+1

It is important to make sure you  has heavy sunblock on after a rhinoplasty for the first few months afterwards. Sunblock,  umbrella, and  a large floppy hat should be all that is required.