If I Plan on Flying from NY to AZ for a TT How Long Before I Could Fly Back Safely?

I'm healthy and have no issues with circulation or blood clots. I know there are no guarantees but would like some info in general terms. Thanks

Flying to surgery as important as flying back

+2

How long you stay in the area where you are having surgery is up to the surgeon performing the procedure.  This is something I would discuss with your plastic surgeon.

Don't neglect to consider the flight out to Arizona.  Sitting in the airport and on the plane for an extended period of time then being immobilized for the procedure and being slow to get around could increase your chance of blood clots.  You should make it a point to move around the airport and move around on the plane to decrease you chances of this problem.

Thank you for your question and best of luck.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Flying from AZ to NY After A Tummy Tuck

+2

You are correct there are no guarantees. A tummy tuck is a big operation and recovery time can veary among individuals depending on how big a tummy tuck, how good of shape you are in, etc. If you are have a full tummy tuck with muscle plication it takes most people two weeks to get back to usual daily activities. You need to be able to comfortably negotiate flying, moving bags etc. AZ to NY is a long flight. I would say that one of your biggest concerns would be getting a blood clot in your leg during the flight. This happens to people on long flights even if they didn't just have surgery. Your risk will be higher. You should definitely get up and walk around several times, keep moving your legs. The longer you wait, the lower the risk but I would say a minimum of two weeks. This also should give you enough time to get drains out, identify any problems, and just get to a point where you can move around comfortably

Braden Stridde, MD
Federal Way Plastic Surgeon

Young people without allterated veins less risks to thrombosis

+2

perhaps you should avoid, smoking,antipregnant before  any long  trip and surgery. after  surgery come  back home  you should take an antithrombotic pill and  elastic comprhensive legs  garments

Ramon Navarro, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Flying before and after surgery. A warning!

+2

It is probably even more important to arrive at your destination a few days before surgery.   Take precautions to avoid leg blood clots while in flight.  Hydration, anti-embolic stockings, frequent movement of legs while sitting, plus frequent ailse walking are some helpful techniques.  Wait about 2 weeks before leaving on the return flight.  Use the same techniques when flying home.  Surgical complications are more easily managed whereever you are.  Pulmonary embolism is life threating.

Do not fly or take long car rides if you have any symptoms of leg pain or shortness of breath.  Get checked out first.  

H. Michael Roark, MD

+2

I would give it 10-14 days just to be on the safe side. But make sure you have the ability to fly back weekly for followup and drainage of a seroma if it occurs and wound care if the healing does not go as planned. Since the surgical fee includes all followup it is very unlikely any local doctor will care for post op complications without a fairly hefty fee.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Flying after a Tummy Tuck

+2

You should plan to stay at least 8 days after your surgery.  However, every patient is different.  The reason for staying is to make sure that everything is okay after the surgery and allow time for at least one follow up appointment to ensure that everything is healing as expected.  

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Flying After Cosmetic Surgery

+1

It is preferred for one to not have surgery for at least 24 hrs before or after a flight of more than three hours duration. There is no scientific data to support this, however, it has been a general rule of thumb that I have used over the years.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Long distance travel for abdominoplasty

+1

Personally I would never travel that far for an operation, especially an abdominoplasty. There are very competent surgeons much closer to home. You are increasing the risk of blood clotting complications. If you have complications after you return home you may have trouble finding a surgeon who will take of you. Whatever cost savings you may be obtaining are not worth the potential downside.

Ann F. Reilley, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Travel for plastic surgery

+1
I take a more conservative view and would advise you not to travel this distance for three weeks if possible. This is an at least five hour flight plus the delights of the airport and you will be sitting in cramped quarters. Also, it is important to be in proximity to your plastic surgeon for as long as possible postoperatively and to have a contingency plan in the event of complications. Consult your doctor about taking aspirin before the flight and wearing compression stockings. Wear loose clothing. Don't lift suitcases.

Robert L. Kraft, MD