Is It Safe to Have a Baby After a Tummy Tuck?

I am 25 years old with NO kids. I plan on having kids in my early or mid 30's. that's about 5-10 years from now. If I get a tummy tuck would it be safe for me to have kids without complications or harm to the baby ?

Can a tummy tuck harm a pregnancy?

+2

The short answer is no. There have been studies of patients having tummy tucks and TRAM breast reconstructions who became pregnant. The conclusion: baby wins! What may loose is the aesthetic quality of your abdominoplasty. But the good news is that it can be fixed. I feel that the patient's anatomy and expectations determine what parts of the procedure are performed, not their future plans. Having said that, we have to be realistic. If one is planning IVF soon, I wouldn't recommend a tummy tuck any time soon. But I have been greeted with a sly smile at the six month check-up with the exciting news of an upcoming delivery. They did fine.

Tummy tuck and children

+2

I agree it is fine to do. I have a few patients that I have done 2 tummy tucks on who decided they wanted more children. Everything worked out just fine. Good Luck!

Gregory Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Kids after a tummy tuck

+2

Yes, it is safe to have kids after a tummy tuck.  That being said, when I perform a tummy tuck on a patient who is anticipating having children in the future I generally do not plicate (tighten) the muscles with a permanent suture.  Short answer is, however, go ahead and get your tummy tuck and no problem having kids in the future.

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Pregnancy after Tummy Tuck

+1

Thank you for your question.  While it would cause no risk  or harm to you nor the baby to have a tummy tuck prior to pregnancy, I generally advise patients to wait until after they are finished having children,  because the risk of having to have it re-done afterwards is so high.  Pregnancy causes diastasis which is a separation of the abdominal muscles which can only be repaired surgically.  I would advise you to have a consultation with an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  Best of luck to you.

Mark Deutsch, MD

Pregnancy is possible after in abdominoplasty.

+1

A pregnancy is safe after in abdominoplasty although it is likely to undo much of what was accomplished by the operation.

Safe to Have a Baby After Tummy Tuck? #tummytuck

+1

Great question. There is no risk at all for you to have children after a tummy tuck procedure. Usually patients will wait until they are done having children though because pregnancy will stretch all the muscles out again and negate the operation you had. You may need to have it repeated down the road. Not something I would want to go through twice!

Richard J. Brown, MD

Pregnancy after an abdominoplasty

+1

You should be able to have a successful pregnancy following an abdominoplasty.  You may need a revision or secondary surgery after the pregnancy as the result may change.  

You can be pregnant after tummy tuck.

+1

It will be safe to be pregnant; having had tummy tuck does not harm the fetus or baby.  However, having a baby after tummy tuck may un-do what is done during the tummy tuck.  As you may be aware, tummy tuck is a great procedure to remove excess lower abdominal skin and fat and as well as tightening the abdominal muscle.  During pregnancy, abdominal skin, fat and muscle will be stretched.  Depending on your body, you may need revision tummy tuck after pregnancy.  Best wishes!

Sugene Kim, MD

Pregnancy After Tummy Tuck

+1

Yes, it is safe to have children after a tummy tuck.  However, pregnancy is likely to cause the skin and muscles to stretch, and can negatively affect the appearance of your abdomen.  I generally tell patients to defer a tummy tuck until after pregnancy if they are planning to get pregnant in the near future.  Good luck!

Mark Schwartz, MD

No medical risk with pregnancy after a tummy tuck

+1

There would be no medical risk either to you or the baby if you become pregnant after your tummy tuck. The skin and muscles will stretch to accommodate your growing bundle of joy. You can expect some consequences in the form of skin laxity, excess, stretch marks, etc. but this varies quite a bit between patients. Regardless, you will have the option of a revision procedure once your baby-making is complete. Good luck.

Peter Bray, MD