Is it possible to place 3-4 layers of sutures to close a small incision on the chin?

A facial plastic surgeon told me she would use 3-4 layers of sutures to close the incision when she excised a raised, pencil eraser-sized mole from my chin (about a 1/2 inch under my lip). I got a second opinion from another facial plastic surgeon who said it was not possible because there aren't that many layers in the skin to suture and only two are needed. Was the first plastic surgeon just wrong/or overselling about the 3-4 layers of sutures in my chin or is there any merit to that?

Wound closure on chin

+2
I would agree that in removing a mole on the chin that only two layers of closure would be needed.  My guess is that you and the first surgeon just had a misunderstanding about the closure.  Perhaps she said you would need 3-4 sutures and not 3-4 layers.  You might want to confirm this with her directly.  

San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Closure of Chin Incision

+1
Typically, after removal of a soft tissue lesion in this area the resultant incision is closed in two layers.  The deep dermal layer is first closed with absorbable sutures, followed by a tension free skin closure using permanent sutures which are removed in 7 days.  Good Luck

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Suturing a wound

+1
The understanding of the layers of the skin and subcutaneous tissue needed to close depend on the depth of the wound, the anatomic layers, and the skin.
Wounds are closed to re-establish the normal anatomy